Amex Experts HELP!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by crave1wave, Jun 19, 2001.

1. crave1wave

crave1wave Well-Known Member

I applied for the Amex Platinum Charge Card, called today and got transferred to someone in that department. They want me to fax them my tax return 1040 to prove my income. I know how much I make, and I know I qualify for the card, but I am not willing to fax that personal of information to them! Otherwise the lady said I was approved and that was all she needed. So I canceled that application and applied for the Amex Gold Card Rewards Plus.

My FICO is 790.

Have

a MBNA Platinum Plus Visa--limit $9,000
    a Citibank Gold Card--limit $12,400
    a Fleet Fusion Card--limit $10,000
    a Citibank Click Citi--limit $4,000

All accounts are R1 status, never late, no bankruptcy, no nothing!

Income--$120,000

What are some steps I can take or what can I do??

Thanks!

2. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Wow, I have never heard of faxing your 1040 to a credit card company. I don't blame you for cancelling. That's just too personal. Applying for the Gold Rewards is a good idea. I don't understand why they would not believe you make $120,000 that's not uncommon these days. Your 790 and excellent credit history should speak for itself. Did you try the Retention Department or just Customer Service? Usually if you plead your case to Retention they will help however possible. Does anyone on the board have the number? Saar, is probably the best one to offer you advice on what to do he knows the company inside and out. I hope everything works out.

Dani

3. crave1wave

I told the lady to cancel the application. Is it still in their systems and can it be reinstated? The Amex Platinum Charge is the one I want, but I don't want to give out the 1040. Can I get around this? The lady said that she HAD to have it to give me the card.

Do they really have to have it??

What can I do?????

HELP!!!

4. crave1wave

I have given up trying for the Platinum Charge card right now and am going to take the Gold Rewards Plus.

Does anyone know how much I have to spend, how long I have to have the Gold Rewards Plus card before I can request the Platinum charge card?? How hard is it to ask for it??

I read that if you are a cardmember they wont ask for income verification?? Is this true??

Does anyone have any experience with this?? Any suggestions??

Thanks!!!

5. judyputy

judyputy Well-Known Member

Crave,

Could you just fax your W-2 form with the taxable income on it?

6. crave1wave

Nope

7. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

There are some cards that require proof of income. But I don't think it has to be your tax return. How about a paycheck stub or direct deposit thingy - whatever your company sends you.

breeze

8. crave1wave

They wanted the real thing!! Nothing else would do.

9. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Are you self-employed?

breeze

10. crave1wave

no, retired

11. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Sorry about that crave1wave. However, once you are a cardmember it is correct that the minimum income requirement is waived if you are a cardmember in good standing. Don't worry, once you have the gold, you should be able upgrade to the platinum without a problem. :)

12. crave1wave

Thanks!!!

Anything else I should know??