AMEX EXPERTS: Please Read!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by eviljeeba, Jun 17, 2001.

1. eviljeeba

eviljeeba Well-Known Member

I currently have an AMEX Gold. I saw on here that if I were to bump up to a AMEX Plat, that I would be invited for the Black Card? This isn't true is it?

Please let me know, I have no problems paying the $1,000 membership fee to have such a prestigious card and all the privileges that comes with it.

2. steve

steve Well-Known Member

I think you have to spend a certain amount or more every month on the Platinum charge card to get an invitation for the Black Centurion card. I'm not sure, but I think it's $15,000 per month or more.

3. Surphie

Surphie Well-Known Member

It's not the fee. Their target are rich -millionaire and probably famous people too.

Let's see:
    "Only 1 percent of American Express platinum customers have been offered Centurion membership, and only 1 percent of all American Express customers have a platinum card."

See full article at http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/19991213.asp

I think they are giving these cards to Tiger Woods, movie actors (those rich and famous), football players (idem), Bill Gates, etc...

best regards,

4. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

has nothing to do with being a "movie star", or famous person. It has to do with your spending, and volume in certain areas, namely airline tickets, resturants, hotels, and rental cards.

They are not offering it to everyone, even those who meet the spending qualifications... There is some myth that you need to spend $150,000 / year, but I know people who spend only $30 - 50k / year and have one.

go here for more information,

FlyerTalk

Scroll down to the American Express board, and use the search function to search for "Centurion"

5. Surphie

Surphie Well-Known Member

I didn't say it was for movie stars, but for sure their target are rich people (and the example, movie stars, tend to spend a lot of money in those certain areas, hotels, restaurants, etc...) Their spending patterns meet their requirements:

'"With the Centurion Card, we've again set the standard -- raising the bar in the premium category," James Bush, senior vice president of consumer marketing, said when the card was introduced.

All three cards are aimed at people with six-digit incomes who travel and entertain a lot and expect exceptional service and rewards.'

FYI: While minimum income required for AmEx Personal is $15,000, for Gold is $20,000, Platinum is $50,000, and for Centurion Black Card is OVER $ 100,000.

best regards,