Amex- Extended Purchase Account

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by JustMe, Sep 29, 2001.

1. JustMe

JustMe Well-Known Member

My friend has a Amex Gold Account. She has a Sign and Travel & Extended Purchase Account. She'd like to know if there is a limit on how much you can charge. She has a 7k balance on it already.

2. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Just Me-

The Extended Payment Option plans (S&T is for airline, hotel, cruise, etc. types of charges, while Extended Payment is for any single charge >$300) do not have a "pre-set limit" but are "approved based on personal resources as known to us, past payment and spending records, blah-blah-blah".

At those interest rates (at least for mine, something like prime+12%), I don't think they're a good idea. Amex will transfer balances from Gold/Green cards to an Optime, Blue or other credit product. You should be able to get much better rates on those cards vs. Extended Pay Option.

Also keep in mind, Extended Pay doesn't report as a separate account on the credit reports - it just keeps your card balance looking really high- which can scare the poop out of lenders and muck up your FICO score (you always look like your balance is close to your high credit).

I had a $1700 balance on my S&T and just paid it off -- it is convienent to have (if cash flow gets short and you don't want to pay the whole Amex bill off this month) but it's expensive money.

-mj

3. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

You ARE Exactly right MJ!

I do know those rates are very high! AMEX hopes you carry a large balance on these additional line offers.

I had not thought about how it would show on the credit reports!

Thanks for the information - dogman

4. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Re: You ARE Exactly right MJ!

Amex reports charge cards in a weird way - they show as either being "open" or "30-day" or as having a term of "1-month" (which is correct, it's a charge account), but on Experian, it also reports as REVolving. I'm looking at Blue and Gold cards on my report:

AMEX
    Address: PO BOX 7871 FORT LAUDERDALE, FL 33329
    Type: Revolving
    Reported Since: 10/1999
    Terms: NA
    Credit Limit/Original Amount: NA
    High Balance: $8,747 Recent Balance: $1,362

AMEX
    Address: PO BOX 7871 FORT LAUDERDALE, FL 33329
    Type: Revolving
    Reported Since: 12/1999
    Terms: 1 Months
    Credit Limit/Original Amount: NA
    High Balance: $4,645 Recent Balance: $1,510

The average bear should be able to figure out that #2 is the charge card and #1 is a revolving card, but I'm not so sure FICO is calculating the score with that info?

It doesn't matter since I've got the balance down, but when S&T balance was up there, it looked like it was being utilized at 80-90%.

Anyone have any good info on how Fico calculates utilization when no "limit" is reported (just high balance)?

Thx-
    mj

5. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

No, but I have a suggestion. Write to Fair Isaac with your question via planetfeedback.

6. JustMe

JustMe Well-Known Member

7. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Yes, please do, and tell us what they say.

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

They NEVER responded to mine...

9. JustMe

JustMe Well-Known Member

Re: 9.9%

My friend got a 9.9% on her sign and travel account up to 15k