Amex/FICO/Inquiry policy

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by the other, Jan 16, 2001.

1. the other

the other Well-Known Member

I just got off the phone with Amex. I had applied for their Gold rewards plus card and was denied. They had pulled my Trans Union report.

They said their policy is that they generally approve with a score of 680 or higher. Mine was only 644. They said that having the Blue card did count for something, and that they probably could have overriden the denial except that they allow a max. of 6 inquiries in the last 6 months, and I had 9.

Correct me if I am wrong, but about half of those inquries were from when I was getting my mortgage. I thought they were supposed to count inquiries for a home or auto loan as 1 inquiry?

Anyways, the rep suggested I wait until some of the inquiries are more than 6 months old and try again.

2. suz10

suz10 Guest

Another FICO dirty secret....the banks/brokers requesting the reports has to classify the inquiry as relating to a mortgage.

I've read from others that its difficult to get the inquiries reclassified once they've appeared - I think you have to deal with the bank/broker rather than the credit bureau...maybe someone here has been through it and can suggest a course of action...

the other me wrote:
    -------------------------------
    I just got off the phone with Amex. I had applied for their Gold rewards plus card and was denied. They had pulled my Trans Union report.

They said their policy is that they generally approve with a score of 680 or higher. Mine was only 644. They said that having the Blue card did count for something, and that they probably could have overriden the denial except that they allow a max. of 6 inquiries in the last 6 months, and I had 9.

Correct me if I am wrong, but about half of those inquries were from when I was getting my mortgage. I thought they were supposed to count inquiries for a home or auto loan as 1 inquiry?

Anyways, the rep suggested I wait until some of the inquiries are more than 6 months old and try again.

3. Saar

Saar Banned

RE: Amex

Wow, that Amex rep you talked with has certainly told you much more than they normally would! This is one valuable piece of information.

Perhaps you should speak w/ Centurion Bank. If they disregarded Dogman's bankruptcy, they can disregard 3 extra inquiries.

Saar

4. the other

the other Well-Known Member

I called the number on the letter they sent declining the app. It was 801-965-2810.

5. Saar

Saar Banned

Yeah, so?

You're not going to speak to an account manager @ Centurion Bank, unless you specificly ask for it.

Saar

6. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

RE: Amex - YUP!

Saar - I agree - get your card!
    CYA Dogman