AMEX Gold - Still Green

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dogman, Feb 2, 2001.

1. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

I got the great decline letter today for the Gold Card. It said that my numerical score was not high enough on the experian report.

I got that message when I first applied for the Green Card. I called the Acct Mgr - she said that my AMEX internal score was amazingly high - especially considering the Chap 13. I asked her if that was my FICO score - she said no -internal AMEX score.
    She told me that after one full year, I would not have any problem.

I thanked her and asked when I might apply and get a Blue. She told me to get both Blue and Gold on the 1 yr anniversary.
    If there had not been a Chap 13, I would have already been upgraded. She said GOLD depends very strongly on credit - as well as resources.

What the heck - I am still rebuilding
    very quickly. Chap 13 to Amex Green Card - 3 1/2 yrs. Chap 13 to Amex Gold Card and
    Blue - 4 yrs - hopefully.

Either way they have treated me GREAT!

(I was very intrigued with her comment that my AMEX internal score was very high - I think that is probably a very good thing for the future.)

Sympathy/comments welcome - BUT - I am proud
    of that AMEX Green in my wallet. I'll be using it in Hawaii Feb 13 :)

CYA Dogman

2. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Dogman--

great news. amazing how fast you rebuilt your credit and now they will be giving you gold and blue. a true wizard.

Have fun in Hawaii. I just got back from my first trip there and had a great time on Maui and the Big Island.

I'm across the bay from you. In Berkeley.

3. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

thx dave - hey why not snap me an email - it'd be fun to find out if we work near each other - all that stuff.

I work down at Moscone/Sony Center.
    cya Dogman

4. Cindy

Cindy Well-Known Member

Dogman,

I would just like to say that you are my credit hero. ;-)

I know you'll get your Gold card soon.

Cheers,
    Cindy

5. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

thx c :)

6. Saar

Saar Banned

You're doing well Dog :)

I too spoke with an Account Manager at Amex Centurion Bank yesterday, and she was so nice and eager to help me. I was impressed.

How long do you have the Amex Personal (Green)? I'm sure you'll have the Gold and the Blue in no time.

Let me tell you something about the Blue. I use it almost everyday. It is by far the best credit card in the world. The advatages it offers are second to none.

Saar

7. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: not that hard to get.

I doubt the "resources" to get gold are that hard.
    If you have perfect credit.

my little bro (20) got a macys,parisians in month1, then in month 6 got a $2k citibank AA, then in month 9 got the amex gold (he made a point to show it to me the other day).

:( bleh

sucks when you have bad marks, its soo easy to get the good cards when you don't make mistakes.

But in my opinion if a 20 year old with 9 months credit under belt can get one, its not all that elite :)

maybe one day in 2.5 years i'll have one too..

8. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Hey Dog, I am sure you will ba carrying around that gold and blue card in no time:) You should be proud about how far you have come. Have a great time in Hawaii!!

Mom

9. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Berkeley

You are durn lucky to live in B. Some of those homes and neighborhoods are terrific.

I wish I had bought one in the 80s - but didn't have the huge amount of $ needed - maybe 70K for something reasonable. Of course that $70K house is now $750K.

I live Sutro Tower - top of Twin Peaks.
    Dead on SF view. I see a blimp flying over you right now. ITS GREAT with the Blue Angels - they fly by my place almost eye level.

THX Dave. Dog
    Hope you like your DSL. Check your throughput at this site:

http://speedtest.mybc.com/

10. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

07/00 exp 7/03.

They do send the MOST IMPRESSIVE package with the Card. They tell you you are a member of a very responsible group of financially proven people ....

For fun - I went to the AMEX "Find a Card"
    site. I put in I wanted spending limits of over $20,000, and both the Green and Gold come up. BLUE was alternative.

I'll hang until July. Saar - whatz your take on the internal score assessment?

I have 100% excellent payments on the FCNB / Providian / Cap. Spiegel/Mervyns (54 mos)/
    Target (30 months)/ Union 76 (60 mos)/
    closed Amalgated Gold MC - 27 mos/

Much positive credit.
    cya dogman

11. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

RE: not that hard to get.

I know what you mean Sam. But its a personal milestone to me. I see that it
    is certainly clear that credit ratings are FLUID.

In 2003, or B4 with continuous progress
    by JUNUM, my resources and pure credit will
    erase this tough past period, completely.

cya - dogman

12. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

we do like each other don't we Mom :)
    we always support each other - along with all you other funsters out there.

can you believe Providian starts up this crap - its the SAME FLYER and PRACTICE that got their ass B4.

cya dog

13. Saar

Saar Banned

You got the card on 7/00 ?

If I were you, I'd start nagging their Account Managers as of next month. Even before the 1-year mark, one of them is bound to fall prey to the DOG charm ;-p

And then... SOMEONE is going to sing the song of the Baha Men ("Who let the dogs out?")

Saar

14. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

Straightforwardness

No one can deny that Amex is an excellent company to do business with, and their customer service reps are the best in the business. Unfortunately, the reps tend to get just a little too carried away with being pleasant by continually telling people what they want to hear.

A classic case is with the Optima Secured card. I've seen posts here showing that so many people have been taken in by the reps and the website advertisement for the Optima Secured card. My daughter also fell prey to the glitter. They were assured that maintaining an excellent credit history with this card would get them an easy upgrade after a year. Unfortunately, people are being declined by the scores.

The upgrades aren't nearly as easy as they were represented to be. Applications for secured cardholders are just as heavily scrutinized as those from any Joe Blow on the street. Because the secured accounts are not reported to the CRAs, too many people have simply wasted their time in trying to prove their credit worthiness. If only Amex had toned down their sales pitch a bit, so many headaches could have been saved. They make no wild claims about their other products, so I can't understand why they had to do it with this one. If they'd only cut the crap about getting peoples' hopes up, they'd be durned near perfect!

15. Angela

Angela Guest

RE: Straightforwardness

thanks Doris. I didn't bother to apply with 3 chargeoffs in my background. Unless you say something others will be duped.