Amex green card

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Momof3, Mar 5, 2001.

1. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Now most of you are aware I am on the Inquiry BANDWAGON, I just received a preapproval for the AMex green card, now I realize preapproval doesn't mean squat, but I was curious if I should try it just for the heck of it?? I would love to start a relationship with Amex if I could. What do you guys think?? HAs anyone gotten this offer and were approved??

Thanks

P.S. I will update later on my recent problems on the homefront, I appreciate everyone who responded and a BIG THANK YOU to Roni for watching my back:)

Mom

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

congratulations Momof3. Preapproval from AMEX might be worth the inquiry. They pull experian...Did you see I got upgraded with c1..

roni

3. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Thanks Roni, yes I saw your post and congrats on it, also congrats on Target and equifax results. I also wanted to tell you that you are in my prayers I read about your loss and you are in my thoughts.

Mom

4. roni

roni Well-Known Member

thanks mom. I just try to put it out of my mind. I dealt with most of it this weekend.

5. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Well I got excited when I got sears increase, then Jc penny's denied me for increase, this makes me think Amex will deny as well?? Well I will think it over some more, I would love an Amex card:)

Mom

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I have AMEX BLUE...I got "PRE-APPROVED" green (probably was a real "PRE-APPROVED") but you have to pay in full every month, I do that with DISCOVERCARD and get cash back, so why do the same with green and get less DISCOVERCARD cash back and have to pay both every month???

CALL AMERICANEXPRESS BLUE ON THE PHONE and tell them you got pre-approved for green, can they give you BLUE instead???

1-888-BLUE-741

YOU WOULD PROBABLY GET THE "UNADVERTISED" 9.99% SOME HAVE GOT...

7. mother2

mother2 Well-Known Member

Congrats momof3

At least you received a pre-approval from AMEX. That means your credit is good. I hope one day to see of of those approvals in my mailbox.

If it were me, I would try it...only if I knew my negs were gone.

Good Luck!

8. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Saar, Jason your thoughts

I have always thought Amex didn't send these very often as most others banks issue preapprovals on a regular basis, that has got my curiousity going. But I have been burned quite a few times in the past with so called preapprovals, just hoping Amex doesn't send these out in mass mailing as other companies?? Yes I have no negatives but history is short and I have 2 high balances so I am not sure it would meet their approval. but I am soo very tempted to start a relationship with them?

9. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Saar, Jason your thoughts

JUST ANOTHER THOUGHT...call and ask if you send "PRE-APPROVAL" with copy of your last credit report, will they ONLY PULL THEIR OWN CREDIT REPORT IF YOUR CREDIT REPORT LOOKS GOOD ENOUGH TO THEM.
    80% + CHANCE FOR APPROVAL...

(I would get the name of a specific person to mail it to in PRE-APPROVED NEW ACCOUNTS)

YES, "PRE-APPROVED" USUALLY MEAN NOTHING (IN MOST CASES)...

10. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Thanks George

I would love to have the blue instead of the green, who wouldn't, but I know my credit is not good enough for the blue at this point in time. I still may try for the green just for the heck of it, although you are right preapproval means nothing anymore.

Mom

11. Anon

Anon Guest

Re: Thanks George

AMX preapproval does NOT mean automatic approval. They will still do a hard inquiry and evaluate. This is a marketing ploy to attract potential new cardmembers. The preapproval is a preliminary screening only.

12. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Thanks George

AMEX is usually not a BULK MAILER of credit applications~ (pre-approved/pre-selected/hand-picked/inventation to apply/etc...they are more picky...

SOME POSTERS HAVE SAID THEY HAVE BEEN SENT "PRE-APPROVED" FROM BANKS THEY DEFAULTED ON...

13. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

MOM - No Negatives? GET IT NOW

Sign it send it in, you will get it. :)
    If you get denied, I'll help direct you! But you won't.

I never get mailings like that. Do it - then put hubby on as additional user.

Dogman

14. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Dog

Thanks DOG, I think I will give it a shot. I have never received anything from them before until now. I just always thought that you needed 2 24 month tradelines?? I have an installment that is over 2 years, but my oldest revolving account is just under 2 years, won't hit that mark til June of this year??

Mom

15. Saar

Saar Banned

Re: Dog

You mean you haven't sent that already? :)

After 6 months of excellent payment history with the Green, you'd normally be eligible for the Blue.

Saar