AMEX Green Gets Better & B

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dogman, Aug 7, 2000.

1. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

OK- we know I just got the Green Card last month. It is exceptional and lives up to everything about service you've ever read.

THX to Barry, Creditsense, Doris, etc., I decided to try my new power over my FCNB MC.
    The FCNB was $2700/ $1200 secured.

I called FCNB and noticed that my card expires this month (2 yrs). I told the REP I now had improved my credit dramatically and now held the AMEX Green Card.

I told her I was now in a good credit position to look at my current cards.
    I liked FCNB I told her, but either wanted a security release and an unsecured card or a limit increase- or anything to make me stay as a customer.

She put me on hold - came back and asked me if I wanted the check or have it applied to the card....I told her to simply apply the savings to the card balance...

She put me on hold, reduced my interest rate to 16.9% / unsecured the card / raised the limit to $5000 / and thanked me for being a great customer.

SYNOPSIS:

It is true - if you get a really good card somehow, then you can call the high rate dudes and they'll jump.

This $55 annual fee is the best money I have ever spent.

Again, AMEX seems willing to look at special exceptions - illness,just plain stupidity in earlier years with credit, etc. Amazing that a credit card company is helping me improve my own credit.

2. mick

mick Guest

RE: AMEX Green Gets Better &am

Thats is great on what you have done!!!
    But I am sorry to tell you only having the american express green card was not the factor of you getting the $5000.00 credit limit and the 16.9 interest rate on the FCNB Mastercard especially having the green card for only 1 month that not enough time for it to hit the credit bureaus. The factor was your good payment history with FCNB but Im truly suprised FCNB did not unsecure your mastercard after 1 year. Also FCNB will offer you a Unsecured Visa Card in the future and will offer a store charge of either Eddie Bauer/Newport News/Speigle.
    Wait a few months and try to waive your annual fee. Good luck.

3. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Mick- they gave me a spiegel card about
    6 months ago with a $1400 limit

THX for the input as well. Two yrs of good credit looks like its really making a difference.

I think I was fortunate because I believe AMEX with jumpstart prime stuff.

4. mick

mick Guest

Keep the FCNB Mastercard I think that what made the difference in your credit. The longer you keep that card the better your credit will be and always make your payments on time. And of course use you american express every month to build a credit history with that account. Im curious on what the FCNB customer reps said when you demanded a lower apr and a higher credit limit.

5. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

I didn't demand. I told them they were a great bank and had helped me build to AMEX acceptance.

Now I was evaluating my cards and would dump all but one Visa or MC.
    I asked them what they would do to sway me to keep them?

It works well when you tell them how pleased
    you are with them,,,but,,,you're getting good offers.

6. Justine

Justine Guest

Dogman,

I am proud of you and jealous at the same time! I hope I can hang in there and improve my credit also. You are an inspiration to me! I too owe AMEX as you did. I'm hoping to do like you!

Thanks for sharing your story with us all!

7. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

AMEX / Capital One

I today called Capital One and told thanked them for their great help in helping me rebuild my credit. AMEX had approved me and I will now consolidate to one revolving Visa or MC/
    I have a $2200 Silver MC / interest rate 20%
    The very nice REP immediately offered me a rate of 14.9% - it would be in effect in 3 days.
    I asked her to give me a limit increase and she said she would note my account and that I had a good chance.

I took the deal. Amazing what everyone on this board has taught me. The credit card companies will do whatever they can to get good on time paying customers.

8. Stormie

Stormie Guest

This is all fabulous to hear. It's great when we the customers actually have some leverage for once. And since we've been such good customers, why shouldn't we deserve lower rates and annual fee's. I think they are starting to wise up, happy customers generate more business, and the also spend more money with lowered interest. Everyone benefits.

9. $CM$

$CM$ Guest

Yes, AMEX can be great for building a new credit file, as they are good about reporting to the bureaus. Go for an Optima card next -they usually give out a fat credit line. I have an Optima Platinum for $10K and they just doubled my corporate Optima from $5K to $10K also!

$CM$

10. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Hey $CM$ we should talk sometime live.
    I have learned lots from you.
    snap me an email at dogmansf@aol.com

They told me I could have either revolving
    or no limit, and you know I got Green.
    I just paid the first balance by epay at AMEX.com

What kind of limit you think they might give-how long would you wait?
    I might want BLUE.
    what is your opinion?