AMEX GREEN - In reconsideration now

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Jim, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Some of you may remember that I applied for a AMEX Green charge card last week. AMEX let me know that I would hear from them in 7 - 10 days.

Early this morning, I contacted AMEX by telephone.

I found out that I had been denied. Really no surprise. The rep. looked over my application and said that as my FICO score is "terrific", my application will be reconsidered. The rep. would not give me my FICO score when I requested it.We also discussed...

My prior excellent AMEX gold card history. My one year of bad credit - 1998 and all my existing accounts that are current. Also, that the Green card limit is controlled by AMEX and that I am willing to pay the $55 annual fee.

He also said that in his opinion I am very likely to get an override and receive the card. I am to call back at a later time for an answer.

What is wrong with all of this???

The infamous AMEX blacklist!!!

I still believe that my application will be denied during the second review. I have lived happily without a charge card for many years and I will not be disappointed if I get denied.

What a surprise if I actually get the card with my credit history?

Jim

2. marci

marci Well-Known Member

I hope you get it, Jim. Keep everyone updated.

3. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

Jim- not sure what the factors were that AMEX turn you down. Are you also saying that you stiff AMEX and that you are on the AMEX blacklist?

Best regards,
    Mirage

4. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

I will keep you posted. Especially as this matter is somewhat unusual. My odds of getting the card have to be very low from my viewpoint.

What is interesting is going to be the AMEX viewpoint.

Jim

5. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

There is only one (1) factor that caused the denial. They seemed to be aware that I discharged an AMEX account in my BK. The AMEX rep was very professional and he would never use the term "Blacklist" as I have done. But let's just say that I have not seen an advertisement for an AMEX product arrive in the mailbox for 3 years.

Jim

6. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

good luck. If you get an override I'll also be amazed but happy for you :)

7. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Good luck Jim! My fingers are crossed and I will pray to the Credit Gods for you.

1 quick question: How much did you BK on them? You never answered that question and if you don't want to divulge those details then that's your choice. Do you have ANY plans on paying them back to get a card? We all know that legally you don't owe them a dime so...

8. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Hi Marie,

One point I should make here is that occasionally we have all contacted a rep who means well. But the outcome here should still be negative. It will be just wait and see until AMEX decides.

Last week when I posted my thread about AMEX Green, not one person answered by saying that this card is an outstanding account to have. The benefit in getting the Green appeared to be relative to establishing a good business relationship with AMEX in order to obtain other credit accounts. Also, any AMEX card is handsome and carries more respect due to past exclusivity.

All this talk on the board about needing only a 650 FICO to get AMEX pushesd me into applying.

Thanks for posting.

Jim

9. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Hi MP$40,

Thanks for the support. Your questions about the amount discharged etc. are very reasonable questions. I will answer them by next week when I know whether I got the card or not.

The reason I want to answer them later is that there are 3 possible outcomes here...

I get denied - Most likely to occur

I get approved but they want a full or partial payback. Remember Dogman - I hope he doesn't mind this - appeared to have paid a % of his credit card accounts under his Chapter 13. Then he got AMEX Green. I respected Dogman for paying. AMEX may be setting me up for a negotiation here. I just don't know.

I get approved - Least likely to occur.

Best regards,

Jim

10. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

O.k. well keep us all posted on the outcome! :-D

11. navajo67

navajo67 Active Member

Hey, Jim I just got a question ...When you said that you just need a FICO of 650 to get the card you are saying that AMEX just check EQUIFAX, what about TU and Experian?

12. river

river Well-Known Member

"teriffic" fico score + stiffing Amex = DENIAL. Dogman went about it the right way. I have all respect for dogman and having to do the "every persons nightmare",but still being responsible in paying back his debts while in such a "life threathening" state. He is truly "the man" with a life and "owning up and taking responsibility" for his own actions and not putting the blame on the "others". It takes a "hell" of a guy to "take back control" of his life and reestablishing his credit with success and determination and should be acknowledged by AMEX as the "comeback kid" posterboy. LOL dogman,but true.My hat goes off to you, dogman.

13. bailey

bailey Well-Known Member

Kind words to Dogman:)

14. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Hi Navajo,

It is unclear to me at this time which credit report AMEX checked. I suspect TU. Or they may have checked 2 CRA's or 3 for that matter. I will let you know when there is a conclusion to this.

In reference to the 650 score - Do a search on AMEX and you will see some interesting data on recent approvals. Some of the data appears to be first party and some is third party incidental. However...

Don't take everything too seriously. I applied for a couple of accounts based on what I read on the board - And was promptly turned down. Creditors consider many factors along with a credit score.

Best regards,

Jim

15. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Jim, if you call the 800# and you request the reconsideration tomorrow, they will tell you what bureau they pulled...they just pulled Eq for me and when I called they told me.

As far as reconsideration, it really isn't with Amex...it's more like "these are the reasons you got denied" (more than the standard responses, she actually told me what is on my report that I needed to clear up before I could get the card.)

Good luck Man! -Peace, Dave

16. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

River:

I am surprised to see you here on my thread. You and I have had problems here on the board in the past. I do not like you...

I avoid you and expect you to avoid me. It is not appropriate to turn a credit information issue that may be of benefit to the members here into a personal issue. Particularly when the personal issue then can result in no information for the members here on the board to use.

If you have a credit issue to discuss on your own thread - Please do! I may even read it. However, I will not comment on it. As once again, I do not like you. Enough said.

Jim

17. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Hi Nave!!

Thanks for the info. AMEX gave me my marching orders to call back at a later time. I am going to do exactly as I was requested.

Best regards,

Jim

18. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Hey River - Happy Holidays :)

I wondered if you had another email - I thought amexol.net went belly up - NICE to cya river.
    snap me. THX for the comments too - River, you've never said a bad thing about anybody. That's a great trait to have :)

arf dogman

19. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

JIM / River - you guys...

hey I like you both and didn't know you all thought differently about each other.

Either way - thanks - you both are nice to me!

arfingly yours dogman :)

20. Saar

Saar Banned

Re: JIM / River - you guys...

Yep, Dogman has indeed made a remarkable credit progress that inspired us all. It certainly inspired me.

Of course, it doesn't mean there are no other ways (or loopholes) to get into the Amex kingdom. In my expereince, Amex will reconsider when they say they will. I've got 2 of their cards that way.

Saar