Amex Insurance

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Erica, Jun 14, 2001.

1. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

I have been looking recently to change my auto insurance carrier. Upon someone's suggestion (to another poster) I checked out AMEX's website, and sure enough, they have auto insurance. I would like to switch to AMEX because they save me $424 per year. I only have liability coverage because my car is so old and it is paid off.

If anyone has this auto insurance, please let me know about the service, etc.

I have only 1 concern, I am not an AMEX card holder and was declined in January for the blue for students card. How will not being a cardholder affect my chances of getting this coverage? and do they pull a Credit Report? I pay in full every 6 months, so a financial responsibility report is not necessary.

Thanks in advance!

2. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

Hey Erica,

I've been an Amex Auto (and Renters) Insurance customer since 97. I'm pleased not only with the cost but with the service.

I had an accident in January (I got into a right with a U-Haul truck...my Accord lost). Anyhow, I called in the claim and the agent called, had an adjuster come out (to my place of business) and look at the car. He even suggested a place for me to go.

Now in all honesty, it wasn't the EASIEST to get in contact with the agent assigned to my claim, but when I needed to talk to her (or a person) when I transferred to a person, they would page her and get her for me.

They sent my check to my OLD address (so I didn't get it when I should have) but I have rental insurance and they just kept extending it until I got the check.

My rate was jacked up for it (but what insurance company wouldn't?).

Overall though, I'm pleased with them. And I was denied an Amex Green in Jan. I've never had an Amex card before so I wouldn't be too concerned about that.

Their number is 800-842-3344. Good luck!

3. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Shantel,

Thank you for your reply. I will call them on Monday. I have a very busy weekend ahead of me, what with my Birthday this week, and Fathers Day this Sunday.

Do you think it will be a problem to switch mid plan? I have Progressive until the end of August.

Thanks again!

4. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Shantel,

Was the accident your fault? Was anyone charged (get a ticket) for the accident? Did AmEx check your credit?

Thanks,

breeze

5. Shantel

I'm not sure, but when you call, they'll ask when your current policy ends and you can ask them then.

The other thing too, is if you're not above that dreaded "mature driver" age of 25, your rate will be higher, but I saw a significant drop ($300/yr) after I turned 25. I actually started my policy on my 25th birthday.

Come to think of it, it shouldn't be a problem switching. If you've already paid Progressive for the entire year, you'll get a refund for what you haven't used. It should be painless.

Also, someone who has gotten Amex Auto recently, please comment on their use of credit reports. When I did it, they didn't use it, but I can't comment on what they do now.

6. Shantel

Yes Breeze, the accident was my fault but there was no damage to the UHaul so we didn't call the police and I didn't get a ticket. And as for the credit...I don't remember them doing so but if they did, it's gone from my CRs by now.

But there was someone who posted a question about insurance on the board a while ago, who was looking for a company that didn't check credit because his credit was bad. I gave him the number to AmEx and he came back and said that he'd gotten a policy so...sounds like they don't?

7. R.

R. Well-Known Member

OK, if you don't have a card you can get their other services. That makes sense. But what if you're on the American Express blacklist for previous charge card problems? Do the ohter divisions use the same list?

Their quoted rate is half of what I see from other online quotes and is even less than I pay now.

8. creditfree

creditfree Well-Known Member

I just attempted to get a quote online, they ask for approval to check credit...

9. Shantel

Creditfree....

Did it say they definately would check credit or did it say maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't but they want permission, in case?

10. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Shantel, I just got home owners through AMEX, my paperwork stated they "MAY" check your credit, but you can get a quote without any credit checks. I now have it and to this day they haven't ran a credit check on myself or my husband.

11. marci

marci Well-Known Member

I got a quote by calling the 1-800 number yesterday w/o a credit check.

12. creditfree

creditfree Well-Known Member

Shantel...

I called she asked where I heard of them, what state I lived in, for my name, first and last...then I stopped her to ask if they will run my credit. She said they always do to make sure that we fall within an acceptable 'range', basically if we have decent credit. I told her to forget it and to have a nice day, she understood.

13. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

I got a quote without signing anything.
    I have the FAX here to sign and send back if I want the policy.

She told me I could charge it to AMEX.

c ya dogman

14. heather

heather Well-Known Member

Shantel,
    I think it was me that you helped with AmEX, I was denied by everyone for insurance, but you told me about AmEX, I applied online, and never had a problem. If they check credit, they did not check mine (our scores are about 530) there are no inquires on any of the credit bureaus. I did the online application, it gave me the rate, I put in my checking information and have had it since April 15th.

15. river

river Well-Known Member

I presently have Travelers for my homeowners insurance coverage and after reviewing Amex auto and home insurance coverage, I am shocked to see the difference in annual cost for homeowners with 500.00 deductible and 100.00 deductible,only 80.00. It may be that I never delt with the insurance end here because it was included in my mortgage where partial was put into escrow to cover insurance and at end of year got a refund for money left over.I didn't know there was such as a 100.00 deductible on homeowners. Thought standard deductible was 500.00.Think I will be switching over.Amex is awsome.

16. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

I can't decide - remember they are $4.00 yr more than my preferred GEICO. But AMEX is GREAT.
    My record is clean so thats not a problem.

BUT...I have been with Geico several yrs and they are great too. No hassle, then I write a check again in Oct for next 6 month policy.

PROBABLY will stay with Geico.

c ay dogman