AMEX Mail / Update

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dogman, Oct 16, 2000.

1. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Hey Team!

Had the Green Card since 7/00, used it for about $4000 in charges (over those months) and done everything e-pay.

(Also, remember, AMEX wanted me to reapply for a GOLD Card. They wouldn't structure change my card. BUT-remember-they are helping me rebuild my credit from the Chap 13 in OCT 96.)

Again, I have been delighted with them completely. It will be interesting with my Citbank AA Card app in - now that it shows a new AMEX Charge with 3 R1 payments.

Today they sent me a very nice AMEX envelope and pre-approved me for an additional card for a person of my choice. This may not sound like a big deal to many of you, but now AMEX says my credit with them is strong enough to co-sign for another Green Cardholder! Don't need it - single - but I know my AMEX credit is getting better.

I additionally had purchased a benefit from AMEX when I was talking Iguana.
    I bought baggage protection - carry-on included; and $250,000 for airline insurance.
    They charge $9.25 - for each ticket I buy on Amex. No monthly charge garbage - nothing slick!
    (The Green Card gives automatic $100,000 travel insurance standard.)
    I have been it a situation where
    they lost my carry-on and United told me carry-ons weren't covered - only checked bags.

With this AMEX, you can buy, or add for free, almost any benefit you can think of.

MY biggest benefit is having AMEX on my credit reports! That is really priceless!
    Let's see what Citibank says :)
    Dogman

2. miles

miles Well-Known Member

You have done a great job stregthening your credit Dogman. You, roni & others give many of us hope. Keep up the good work! :)

3. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

you're always a sweet guy miles.
    nice, supportive - just nice all around.

Where you live? San Fran here as you know.
    THX Dogman

4. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

I guess from your IP you live in maybe columbia? :)

5. Chet

Chet Well-Known Member

Dogman,
    Was your response when you applied for the Citibank card? As I understand it, you included Citi in your BK. Does it show on your credit report?

nice to see you back (;>B)

chet

6. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

My 2 Cents...What's left after

Hi Dogman and others!

Glad to see you back on the boards. Glad that we're also talking about something other than Citibank! They are SOOOO PLAYED OUT right now! What cracks me up is that everyone is scrambling around trying to apply for the AAdvantage card. Then when they're are apporved, it's like they won the lottery! It's not free money....it does have to be paid back! Hello? I guess they're celebrating the victory over the sub prime credit world. I guess I understand now. Would people be celebrating if they got a $9k limit with Providian w/ the same terms as Citibank? Humm.....

At any rate, check this out:

I got a copy of my Equifax credit (dated 10/4/00) and guess what the first line of trade was on there? Yep.....AM/EX!!!! It has me as an 'A' (authorized user on my boyfriend's account), high credit of $3010, balance -0-, status of O1 (O=open, entire balance due each month and 1=paid as agreed), date opened as 01/00 (but I got the card in Aug), and date reported as 09/00 (they reported 1 month after I got it!). So I'm pretty excited! Let's see what this will do for me credit wise.

I tell you what.....I'm gonna be crying when I get the Am/Ex bill this month because I've charged the s*&% out of my card lately. That's o.k. It was well spent money. Thanks American Express!

7. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

yup

8. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

RE: My 2 Cents...What's left a

I bet you after 12 months you can convert that Gold into your own!
    Good work kid!

Glad my DSL is working again.
    Dogman

9. Cadillac408

You think so? That would be nice, but I'm not going to press the issue. I'm actually content with what I have going for now. For the longest time I could never understand why anyone would want a credit card that you had to pay in full at the end of the month. Now I do! I love having Am/Ex and I've also noticed that it's starting to be accepted more and more at a lot of places! My hair shop even accepts Am/Ex! I love it! I perceive Am/Ex as a glorified debit card that you can earn all kinds of rewards on. It was really nice the other day when I wanted to buy concert tickets that went on sale and I didn't have the money right then and there and didn't have that much available credit on one card ($600). I knew I was going to have the money in 4 days so I charged on my Am/Ex! Then as soon as I got the money, I mailed them a check right away just to get it out of the way (haven't set up on-line payment yet). I've read on other boards were people are charging just about everything they can (including mortgage payments!) on their Am/Ex and then pay everything at the end of the month. We're talking like $5k+! I know there are a few others on this board who charge that much if not more on their Am/Ex cards. What's cool is that you get rewards off of that! I love it!

I do have one question:

Are Am/Ex travelers cheques the same as using a regular check? Are they accepted anywhere checks are accepted? Could I go to a grocery store, particularly one that doesn't accept Am/Ex, and use them? Could I write my landloard a travelers cheque for my rent? What are the rules on that?

10. miles

miles Well-Known Member

In misery...Ooops, I mean Missouri. Close to St. Louis. :)

11. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Yes, MP$40. I was very happy when I got my Chase card and my Citibank card. I dont like pulling out my Providian card (seen on TV) or my Marble green capital one when I am out with my friends and colleagues. I was thrilled to get a gold card. I also no longer have to rely on my secured Optima. I hope that everyone stops talking about the card also. Someone yesterday called it a subprime card now. Oh well, this board doesnot really offer much info to me anymore and I am tired of dodging the bullets aimed at my skull....I will spend the next few weeks dealing with Junum and continuing to pay my bills on time and increasing my score so that I will be ready for a mortagage

12. Cadillac408

Roni, Sorry you feel this way.

Roni,

I totally know what you mean. The whole point of this board is to gain and share valuable information. Then people start trippin on you like your some kind of high powered credit analyst w/ magical powers when you offer a piece of information and it actually works (i.e. the whole Citibank scenerio). You did what you were supposed to do. You stumbled upon something and shared it with everyone else. People must remember that we are all in the same boat. We are learning and feeding off of eachother.

As far as this board is concerned, I have gained so much. Initially when I was doing research about getting my credit back in check, I searched around and found this board to be the most productive. I still see it as being productive but it has definately declined in quality (same goes for Cardweb's message board! Fools are trippin over there!). I get tired of reading stupid posts about stupid stuff. People are trippin way too hard over stuff. Then people start asking the same questions over and over about stuff that has recently been covered already. Do a search first, dang! Then you got people being so critical of others post......even dogging them out for spelling and grammer errors! Wow.....that's doing WAY TOO MUCH!

You know what would really help out this board? If there was some way that that we could be some sort of registered user and be able to post a profile on ourselves to include: our current and past situations, a brief credit history, a list of cards held, etc. Do you feel me? I think this would help others out alot. That way they can investigate and plot their next credit move. I'm just trying to offer a solution. I think Dogman was trying to start something in that direction <what happened?>.

So I guess the bottom line is that we all need to stick together and ignore the ignorant people who appear to just be plain old frustrated! They'll level out over time. I would be frustrated too if I had 10 million sub-prime cards in my wallet and had to bend over every day and get f*&%ed by them! It has worn people down mentally.

So Roni, if you have to post incognito (for me, it would be incognegro!) then so be it! Do what you gotta do! But don't loose track of your goals! We all need to set reasonable credit goals for ourselves. My personal credit goals are as followed:

* Turn my Citibank classic w/ $800 limit into Platimum w/$5k limit

* Obtain my own Am/Ex charge card

* Turn my Chevron CB card into non CB card to eliminate the annual fee

* Build my plain Macy's card to a Presidents Club card ($2500/yr spending....damn I better get to buying!)

* Close my secured Optima and obtain a Platinum Optima

* Keep my existing new auto loan in perfect standing and hopefully pay off early

* Make sure that no negative information exists on any of my reports.....period!

I have set a fair and reasonalbe goal of June 2003 (3 years from when I started rebuilding). I will be 30 and then hopefully I can work on getting some sort of mortgage for me and my kids. This is my plan and I'm sticking to it. In the meanwhile, I'll just sit back, read this board and comment were I see fit.

Happy Credit Building Everyone! ;-)

13. roni

roni Well-Known Member

RE: Roni, Sorry you feel this

My goals are quite similiar. Uping my score of course. I just wanted to have one prime card in my wallet. And I will smack anyone with my mouse who says my gold Citibank aint prime anymore. LOL. Talk about egos. I plan to buy a townhome soon. I have no kids and I am 31 so I better start making this happen. Except for my student loan mistake which was a paperwork error, my record is pretty cleans...minus the Discover card from 91. They stuck me cause I paid on the card until 94. Dumb and broke in college. Anyway, You seem to have it all together and i always enjoy reading your post. Keep on Keeping on. Sis! Me incognegro too....