AMEX Membership Banking Special

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Marie, May 9, 2001.

1. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

going right now. I got approved a money market account, so I'll get a free $100 :)

The deal is this: if you open either a money market account or an interest checking account you get
    $50 if your initial funding is 1,000
    $100 if your initial funding is 2,500

So, for those wishing to strengthen their Amex relationship, now is a good time to get a new membership banking account. ;)
  2. LoFico

LoFico Well-Known Member

Do you know if they check Chexsystems before opening an account?
  3. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

I don't know. I just ordered my Chex report several days ago. When it comes in, I'll call and ask if there's an inquiry from Amex. (I ordered the report before getting the account).

I don't have any derogs on Chex or Scan. I did wonder if they pull credit because the disclosure I agreed to mentioned they can pull a consumer report.

Anyone know what they check for an account???

Credit? Chex?
  4. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Re: AMEX Membership Banking

They are fast on deposits, online services, etc - Membership Banking Card works at ATMs or stores that accept AMEX - just like the Visa Check Card.

They do pull Equifax - and do check the normal checking systems out there. They determine overdraft limit upon initial checks.

I rate them FINE!
    c ya dogman
  5. MrWinky

MrWinky New Member

A word of caution. Last December I was approved for an AMEX MoneyMarket account. I sent in the deposit and paperwork, and received my cheques, Debit card and a first statement, along with tons of AMEX junk mail. Then I received a letter stating the account had been closed due to my credit report.All this in about 3 weeks. They run the report after all of this other stuff is done? I called CS and they had no explanation, just that my deposit would be returned, with interest. It was. So, I tried Planetfeedback to find out what was going on, still no reply. I guess if you don't qualify for their other products, they won't let you have a checking account. I even used to be an AU on a Gold acct, in very good standing. Weird.

Hope all works out for you, Marie.

6. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Regarding the question about Chex... I just got my report today and Amex did check it, but I'm clear so it was fine.

I opened a money market account, so it's technically a savings account. I did that purposefully so hopefully, they won't pull credit for overdraft protection. We'll see. I just sent in my deposit so I'm holding my breath to see if they let me keep the account.

This is another step in rebuilding a relationship w/Amex so I hope they keep open the account.
  7. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

ok, I talked to Amex just now. Asked some basic questions... etc etc

told them I had a friend who had some credit issues blah blah blah ... how would they treat him?

I was told they pull a credit risk score on you if you trigger it. I don't know if just funding the silly account will trigger it or not. I'm a bit worried but I guess I just have to buck up, wait, and see.

I didn't tell them it was me who has the old credit issues. Figure they'll see it soon enough.

I'm also hoping that, since I'm funding it w/2500 not 100 that maybe they'll see buffer money in it and leave me alone. who knows. This is the fun of being notquiteprimeyet.