AMEX not so hard to get.

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Michael, Feb 23, 2001.

1. Michael

Michael Guest

OK a few pages back some of you were debating the fact that Amex will offer a sub prime card, and how hard it is to get a normal card.

Well if I can share my experiance with you guys. A few of my clients (who have good but fresh credit) have received the "Blue" product with a $2,000.00 limit.

$2K is the minimum credit they will grant, and I understand that the Green Charge Card is a bit easier to qualify for.

These clients of mine had about 4-5 Trades open with the oldest one about 7-8 months.

A good example would be.

1. Secured card $300.00 limit opened 6-2000
    2. Gas Card $250.00 limit opened 9-2000
    3. Aria card $500.00 limit opened 11-2000
    4. Target card $200.00 limit opened 1-2001
    5. AMEX BLUE $2,000 limit opened 1-2001

As you can see this was the first Prime card these folks got. I can't say about people with blemishes on their reposrts, but I can state that it's worth a try to apply!

2. the other

the other Well-Known Member

I agree that the Blue is not one or their harder cards to get. I've had mine now for 10 months.

I have never been able to get any of their charge cards or their Optima card.

3. Michael

Michael Guest

The Blue card is a Optima Card, just a unique brand name (marketing for you).

You can't get another card because you haven't scored high enough for more credit.
    Had you applied for an Optima card and now wanted Blue the same would happen.

4. mimi

mimi Guest

what should your scores be?

Just curious?

5. roni

roni Well-Known Member

RE: what should your scores be

HIgh, high, high with no negatives.

6. mimi

mimi Guest

Oh well, that definately leave

:eek:(

7. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Me, too.

8. the other

Actually, I had applied for the Optima and been declined prior to applying for Blue.

9. the other

Also, if they don't increase my limit soon, I'm tempted to dump it. It may be 9.99 apr, but the limit is so low I can't do much with it (2k). Why should I keep it when I have other cards with apr's just a good with decent limits, i.e. chase @ 9.9 (prime +1.4) with a 15k limit.

10. Michael

Michael Guest

Usually Amex is pretty good about increases.

11. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

what is the wwb address

12. Michael

Michael Guest

www.americanexpress.com

13. tialli

tialli Guest

How hard is it to get the amex blue student? What history, score ..., is necessary?

Thanks!

14. Michael

Michael Guest

Usually the student cards are real easy to get. No prior credit is needed, and only late payments/derogitories will keep you from getting it!

15. Sister Gir

Sister Gir Guest

Amex can be a funny sort when are dealing w/them. I have not honestly understood how they base their approval factors per card. I was sent a "pre-approved" green invitation(was approved),& within 2 weeks sent a "pre-approved" gold invitaion(too late now & did not care for another inquiry to see if they would upgrade. After 1 yr w/them(never late),I applied for "Blue" & was declined(due to "insufficient credit history"... say what ???...oldest account Mervyns/opened 7-90/never late/zero balance).

In my opinion,they have "relaxed" some Blue approvals just a bit probably because most people have jumped ship for other card products(Citibank/Chase/Juniper/etc),that have come on the scene AGAIN taking profit from Amex's stringent approvals & costly processing fees.

Sister Girl