AMEX Optima authorized user?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Hope, Jul 14, 2001.

1. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Anybody know how hard (or easy) it is to get to be an AU on AMEX?

My boyfriend just got AMEX Optima Platinum, with no limit and would like to put me on, but I noticed on the website it asked for SSN for the additional card.

Will AMEX pull a hard inquiry just to make me an AU??

2. Saar

Saar Banned

1. No such thing as an Optima Platinum with no limit.
    2. He can make you an AU even w/o giving your SSN - it would still go through. He can even do it online.

Saar

3. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I think they check your ID

breeze

4. matty61184

matty61184 Well-Known Member

I checked on Amex's website, and there is an Optima Platinum, but it does have a cap on the credit limit, which can be set at up to $100,000.

5. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

My mistake. The card's on its way, so I'm not sure of the credit limit. But Optima Platinum is capped at $100,000.

I also just checked the sight and there is an online option for adding AU's. It does ask for name and SSN, but an asterisk remark says "person must be 18 or over and never have defaulted on an AMEX account."

Both are true for me. I don't mind them checking my identification, age and past AMEX history (I have none with them). I just don't want them running a full blown credit report. Heck, I'd have applied for my own AMEX if I wanted that!

6. the other

the other Well-Known Member

I added my sister to my Blue card, they didn't pull her report or ask for identification or anything. They may have done a soft inquiry, but I don't remember for sure.

7. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

That's good to hear! I hope that's true, because I could really use the tradeline -- and a prestigious one at that.

8. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

I was an AU on a Gold charge account and they did run hard inquiry on me. Forgot which report though...I think it was Experian.

9. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Uh-oh!!

10. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Hey...it's a small price to pay for a good trade on your report. And if you every apply for your own Am/Ex card, they'll know about this account and already consider you a member. Funny thing is that Am/Ex started reporting my AU status ASAP on Equifax. Then it took them ~9 months to report it on Experian. It never appeared on TU.

11. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Hope,

I added hubby on to my Blue account late last year. They did ask for his name and social, but they never pulled his credit report.

Dani

12. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Well, that more comforting. It's just that, no way AMEX would grant me "membership" based on my current credit.

But I don't owe them money and never have so maybe that'll be good enough.

I think we'll try it online once his card arrives.