AMEX Optima Platinum BT

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jp, Oct 10, 2001.

1. jp

jp Well-Known Member

Just curious. Has anyone received the below offer from AMEX Optima Platinum on balance transfers. I read it twice and even called them to make sure it wasn't a typo. Although, you would have to be nuts to carry a balance for 10 years, the offer is still interesting.

"Enjoy a special APR of 8.9% through December, 2012 when you transfer balances to your Optima or American Express Credit Card Account today!
    You'll enjoy significant savings on interest because the balances you transfer will have a special APR of 8.9% through December, 2012. Just transfer a balance to your account before November 30, 2001."

2. Saar

Saar Banned

The Optima Platinum product has always offered a fixed 8.9% BTs for the life of the balance.

However, most Optima products charge a 3% BT fee.

Saar

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Free BT is almost a thing of the past...(GOOD THING IT IS A ONE TIME CHARGE)...

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

OK...BECOMING A THING OF THE PAST...got mail from B of A increase offer by "AR" and BT check $50.00 fee...

DISCOVERCARD wants BT fee, now...NEVER DID BEFORE...

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

One of my CHASE cards has a BT fee...the other doesn't...

6. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

The AmEx web site contains this headline under the Optima Paltinum card: "Fee-Free Balance Transfers".

7. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

Sorry. That was "Transfer Balances Fee-Free."

8. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Lizard - it's not the card or account that has fee-free BT's - it's the offer.

I've gotten 4 offers from Fleet over the last two months (they're obviously test marketing to see what the market will bear) -

3.9 for 6 months - 2% fee (min $5, max $50)
    5.9 for 9 months - 3% fee (no min/max)
    6.9 for 6 months - fee-free
    3.9 for 4 months - fee-free

I didn't take any of 'em - less than 9 months is a headache to monitor, and quite frankly, I'm getting sick of 12+ bills to track each month. Rate surfing does cost time - to monitor everything!

-mj