Amex Optima Platinum

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Saar, Oct 23, 2000.

1. Saar

Saar Banned

For all Amex Optima Platinum holders, please post your card APR, and whether you've done anything to get it lowered. TIA.

As Jason said there are no less than 12 possible APR tiers for this card, there must be a way to get the interest rate lowered.

Saar

2. LadyCarr

LadyCarr Guest

Mine came with a 9.9 fixed. I got my card because of my secured Optima history. My approval for the Platinum was an override decision.

3. Tony

Tony Guest

Mine is 9.9% fixed. It was opened in April 00. I haven't heard of anything lower. Mine did have a balance transfer of 8.9% for the life of the balance.

4. AMEX  rep

AMEX rep Guest

9.9% fixed as well

5. newcomer2

newcomer2 Guest

Ladycarr .. How much of a limit did you have on your secured optima >>

6. Saar

Saar Banned

Jason,

How do I go about reducing APR of an existing Optima Platinum (mine is very high, though not a "deliquent" rate). Thanks again.

Saar

7. LadyCarr

LadyCarr Guest

Just a 1,000. I wish I would have put in more, but I didn't because I was reading the posts on this board stating that amex wasn't unsecuring the cards after a year, so I didn't bother with anymore deposits. When they gave my my Patinum card, they gave me the same limit as the secured. I was reading on their website that the min. limit for the Platinum Optima was 2,000. So, I guess they made an exception for me and that's probably why they gave me the 9.9 rate, to make up for the crappy limit.

8. Saar

Saar Banned

Was $1,000 here too. But I've called and they immediately upped it to $3,500. Good luck.

Saar

9. newcomer2

newcomer2 Guest

Ah.. thankx for the advice ladycarr that gives me no room for applying for it then. I just got a mizely 200 dollar limit with them for 3 years that's the upside i'll give it a try in 6-7 months . .. thankx agian for the info ..

10. LadyCarr

LadyCarr Guest

Saar wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Was $1,000 here too. But I've called and they immediately upped it to $3,500. Good luck.

Saar

I tried that and it didn't work. I was told that I had too much existing credit and that was the max for now. Thanks anyway

11. LadyCarr

LadyCarr Guest

newcomer2 wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Ah.. thankx for the advice ladycarr that gives me no room for applying for it then. I just got a mizely 200 dollar limit with them for 3 years that's the upside i'll give it a try in 6-7 months . .. thankx agian for the info ..

You're welcome. Are you going to send in some more money to increase your limit? If so, send in as much as you can, so when you get the unsecured card, you won't be stuck with a Milk Money limit. :)

12. newcomer2

newcomer2 Guest

when the time comes .. probably 6 months from now .. they should give me a decent limit based on my general credit file . i have about 10 accounts with excellent pay history , for over 2 1/2 years so the optima secured should just be a plus .. I shouldn't just depend on it for the acceptance and if they hit me with a deniel for any reason then i would cliam the optima for 3 years .. and hopefilly they would give me an aproval ! :_)

13. Jason-AMEX

Jason-AMEX Guest

Saar, simply call CS and tell them you would like a lower rate by doing a product transfer. I am not sure which optima you have,and that determines which you can transfer into. Some of the options will be Prime+4%, or the fixed 9.9%. Good luck, and let me know how it goes