AMEX optima secured card dont

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Mike, Aug 3, 2000.

1. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

I had the optima for over a year and I pyed in full all the time and they pulled a fast one.. on me... They were suppose to give back my deposit after a year of responsible payments and they said to me that I would have to apply for an unsecured card... and of course I did and of course I got declined and I am back to square one with an INQUIRY on my credit report.....what should I do??? anyone have any ideas....

2. mick

mick Guest

RE: AMEX optima secured card d

Read what I have to say about american express on what I posted below your post.
    My advice is to close the account and Cut up the credit card. It a big rip off they dont report to the credit bureaus and they lie to collect the annual fee. Also I have read post of people getting the Green Card.
    Big deal you have to pay the balance in full every month and you have to Pay a 55 dollar annual fee and the cards are not accepted everywhere visa and mastercard is accepted.
    The best thing you can do is get a visa or mastercard and pay on time and eventually you will either get better offer on a major credit card or get some department store credit card. At least with the department credit cards you can carry a balance and that will reflect on your credit report under the section of your usage of credit and that will let future creditors know how you handle your accounts to me that much better than the american express green card any day...and best of all no annual fee.

3. Anthony Sm

Anthony Sm Guest

hi,

I dont live in the US, but I needed a US$ card for my regular visits and Amex was the only card issuer that was willing to issue and optima secured card by providing a tax payer id to a foreigner without any problems.

So I think for a person without any credit history and without SSN this seams to be the only way.

-Anthony

4. mick

mick Guest

Not necessarly I think you don't understand if you want to have some sort of credit history in the united states you need to apply for credit somewhere else than american express DOES NOT REPORT SECURED ACCOUNTS to the credit bureaus this is necessary for you to obtain credit you can try to apply for the AMERCIAN EXPRESS GREEN CARD I believe they will report this account to the credit bureaus which will give you some sort of credit rating which will in return help you obtain other credit cards.
    Also It is a good Idea If you live in one country to do business in that country. Example if you live in Canada do you banking in Canada if you get a Canada Visa or Mastercard you can use that card in the United States. It Never a good Idea to get a "offshore credit card" because when you send your payments in a Coke Bottle with a cork on the end you never know where it may go. hehehe

Good luck

5. mick

mick Guest

The term offshore means exactly that "Not on land" Never apply for offshore credit cards
    because payments are easily lost because you have to send your payments in a coke bottle with a cork on the end and throw it in to the ocean.

6. Anthony Sm

Anthony Sm Guest

Mick,

the $ does a lot of ups and downs during 1 month billing cyle on my "normal" credit card and the banks here (UK) charge big fees for converting $ to £.
    While when I do one payment a month in $ I pay just a small fee from my bank and the money is in the US 2 days later. That was why I needed a $ card. And Amex was the only one willing to do it. Sure, it does not report, but that is not my major concern. I want something easy and stable without paying horror conversion fees at my credit card company.
    And about offshore, well there are some fun things out there as you said.
    -Anthony

7. mick

mick Guest

Cool im glad you like it:)