Amex Optima Secured QUESTION.!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Mike, Jul 27, 2000.

1. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

Hello, I was browsing the American Express web site and was browsing there credit card selector and noticed that they do not offer there Secured Optima on the web site. Does anyone know if Amex did away with this secured credit card program?? Thanks, Mike

2. T

T Guest

RE: Amex Optima Secured QUESTI

The optima for starting out/starting over may be the one.

3. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

I've read so many posts stating that this card is specifically for establishing credit with American Express, and that after a year or so, Amex will evaluate the customer for an unsecured account.

I'm just curious. Has anyone actually achieved prime, unsecured status with Amex by going this route?

4. Saar

Saar Banned

They do offer it:

http://home1.americanexpress.com/apply/optima/deposit/docs/page800b0.asp

Personally, I'd stay away from any card that is not reported to the bureaus.

Saar

5. Jo

Jo Guest

I did--- I had the card for three months and I then got the Gold Card. I should mention though that my credit was really good to start with but the # of inquiries prevented me from approval for a standard card. I just needed the feel of having an AMEX card- but honestly, the prestige feeling isn't there, knowing that the card's secured. But, the customer service is pretty good even though they all get little bitchy later on in the day.

6. dawn

dawn Guest

I applied for an AMEX Optima secured card. I sent in $1,000.00 with my application. Amex turned me down claiming an unresolved federal tax lien on my credit report. I requested recent credit report from all 3 credit bureaus, no such unresolved federal tax lien exists!

Although I could have pushed and dispute this claim with Amx I chose not to. Because...I have recently learned that AMX does not report timely repayments or anything to the credit bureau. They keep all this information within AMX. So if your looking to build good credit I suggest you don't go to AMX.

Now for the kicker. AMX has not returned my $1,000. secured deposit. No card, no charges and they have my money. I have called and and they keep saying they will send it.

Does anyone know where I can I locate information on my rights in this matter? I'm loosing a good interest rate on that money.

Thanks for your help

7. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

i suggest that u contact the attorney general in the state that u reside in.. Thanx.......... Mike

8. Paul

Paul Guest

I have had a secured card from AMEX for over a year now--and although I have PAID OFF THE ENTIRE BALANCE every month--and I have a $1,500 credit line---I still have not been placed on unsecured status. Furthermore, as everyone has stated, they do NOT report to the credit bureaus so basically you're not helping anyone but AMEX because you're spending money and paying interest to them. Having said that, I have not paid any month interest charges at all because I pay the account off, and I an earning 4.5% interest on the money, so it's not a complete waste. Besides, AMEX has the best customer service of ANY otehr credit card company I trade with----currently Citibank, Travelers, or Bank One.

9. Stormie

Stormie Guest

Have you contacted anyone at AMEX to see what the delay in releasing your account to regular status is ? Seems like they would have unsecured it by know. Perhpas it's an oversigt ? Give them a call and see what they say.