Amex Plat Pre Approval Questions

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jen, Nov 14, 2001.

1. jen

jen Well-Known Member

I got the green card from Amex 6 months ago and just today I received a pre-approved offer for the platinum card. I charge EVERYTHING on the card so I think that is why I got the offer. I spend about 2-4 thousand a month on it. The annual fee is steep but I am considering it. Can anyone share their experience with this card? Is it worth the $300? Also can I expect approval? All they want is my signature and SS # but I am a bit wary. Anyone know if this is a hard inquiry? Sorry for all the questions. I am just excited because 1 year ago I couldn't even consider applying for such a card and now it appears I am PRE- APPROVED! I owe a huge thank you to the board. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. brad

brad Well-Known Member

jen,I don't know if they will approve you or not? I am willing to bet that they will pull a hard one on you.

3. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Fee? I'm filled out the info on www.lendingtree.com and got a fee free optima platinum offer with 0% BT for 6 months. When I applied, it was a hard inquiry, but I got the call today that it was approved and will be here within 7 business days.

4. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

She is talking about the platinum charge card which has a $300 annual fee.

5. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Go to AMEX's web site and check what benefits the Platinum card has to offer. I feel that the $300 fee is well justified........only if you will be using the benefits!

It won't do you no good to blow $300 a year to not use the benefits.....unless you're trying to be the envy of all your friends! :p

6. sam

sam Well-Known Member

yeah its an uber status card, but for some that itself is worth $300... vanity has its price... :)

you could get an optima platinum for no annual fee it looks pretty spiffy too..

7. jen

jen Well-Known Member

I am too scared to apply for the Optima Plat. is it harder to get than the Platinum charge?

I am trying to take it one step at a time with Amex. I have to admit I am partially interested for the status of it all. (Just on a personal level. I am by no means a "card flasher" :) ) But just because like so many here I was in sub-prime hell for a long time before getting my report all cleaned up. I was pretty surprised to receive the upgrade offer in the first place because I have only had the green card for 6 months. The benefits do seem to be worth the fee and I would most likely use them. I just wanted to see what opinions others had about the card. Is it as good as it sounds? Has anyone ever done the free companion ticket deal for travel via business or 1st class? How did it work?

I am planning to go to Europe next year and it might be handy then. We do travel a lot but not business class so I am not really familiar with the rates. I will have to do a little research. If it is a reasonable price for the business ticket then that feature alone would be worth the membership.

8. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

JUST DO IT!!! You said they only want your signature and SSN. To upgrade you to Platinum requires them to switch a few numbers and mail out a card!

9. jen

jen Well-Known Member

Well I did. I bit the bullet and called. I got it!!! The card should arrive in a week. Then I can choose to close the green and replace it with plat or keep both accounts. Woo hoo! I'm so excited. Now time to start checking out the deals for my European vacation. :) Thanks for all of the replies.

10. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Congrats Jen:) After receiving 2 preapprovals and 2 cards, I believe AMEX preapprovals are "usually" the real deal:)

Bkev congrats to you as well, now are you jumping on the wagon or are your trying to set a record? LOL

11. jen

jen Well-Known Member

Thanks Momof3. Much Appreciated. :)

12. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

Amex preapprovals are the real thing.. unlike the other companies. But do you really need a $300 annual fee card? A gold card has just about the same benefits for $70 annually.

13. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Way 2 go Jen!!!...don't you wish you could take back all that worryin'? I always do...even if denied :)

Congrats!

-Peace, Dave

14. jen

jen Well-Known Member

LOL Nave. Yes I do! I tend to be a worrier and I always say to myself, "later you are going to regret all this time you wasted" Never helps though. :) Should of seen me when I was waiting over the weekend for approval on my auto loan. Now that was a long 2 days. Never apply on a Friday!

15. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

which card did you apply for jen? the charge or optima?

16. jen

jen Well-Known Member

It was the charge card. I haven't tried for the Optima..........yet :)

17. Herman

Herman Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!!

Herman

18. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Jen,

Congratulations, hon. Your one of the few that carry the Amex Platinum. I would love to have one, but I'm too cheap to pay $300 a year (it must have something to do with being an accountant). Enjoy!

Dani