Amex Platinum charge card

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Momof3, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

I received a letter today stating that since I have been one of their best customers as measured by tenure, extensive use of card (300.00 a month average on green) and excellent credit history etc. Amex is pleased to invite me to accept their platinum card.

This feels great of course, but there ain't no way in he** I am paying 300.00 for an annual fee. But it feels good just the same:)

Lovely letter and it was enclosed in tissue paper LOL.

2. jen

jen Well-Known Member

Hi Momof3. That was the same letter I got the other day. It was very complimentary. :) Felt good to get such a nice solicitation after shredding crappy CCB and other such offers for the last couple years. I was also impressed by the tissue paper. LOL doesn't take much for me.

I went ahead and got the card...I have no willpower. But if I find I don't use the benefits enough I will just downgrade it to the gold.

3. Saar

Saar Banned

Mom:

Take the offer, spend $12,500/month on it, and in a year, you'll be looking at a Centurion invitation! :)

Seriously, there is only one product among their charge cards that really is worth a high annual fee. It's the Amex Gold Rewards Plus (GRP). For only half the price of Platinum, you can share the GRP with up to 5 additional users, all enrolled in Membership Rewards & earning points.

Saar

4. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Wow Mom! That's nice that they considered you.

I'm starting to get the impression that AMEX is looking for more members that are willing to spend the $300/yr for the card. You say you only charge on average $300/mo? Interesting....

When I had the Gold charge card, on average I spent $2k/mo for 10 months! They never offered me or my boyfriend anything.

5. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Congrats, Mom. All your hard work is paying off.

Dani

6. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Mom must feel nice.

You know how Amex says "Member since Nov '01"? Maybe they should start a new category..."Offered Membership Since Nov '01" LOL.

Congrats on the new status. I hope everything else is going well 2.

-Peace, Dave

7. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Thanks All:) Saar thanks for info I wasn't aware of that card.

Yes MP I only spent an average of 300 a month and for the past 2 months haven't spent a dime??

Yes Dani it looks likes it is finally paying off. I am now trying to get some of these debts down and play the BT game.

Well Jen I am like you I guess, I was also very impressed and will keep the invitation to look at every now and then LOL.

8. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Yes Dave I like the offered membership since better LOL.

YEs all is going well and I hope all is well with you:)

9. Cadillac408

{$300} <-----Cyber Money!

Here ya go Mom! Now GO GET THAT CARD! LOL...

OH...don't forget to add me on as AU! (hint, hint) ;-)

10. Cadillac408

Hey.....this right here alone is enough to justify having the Platinum Charge! I know personally that I can drink at least $300 worth of that comped champagne! LOL...

Or better yet make $300 worth of long distance calls in the lounge! HA!! :))

11. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

Amex has really gone downhill. When I got my Amex Platinum in 1988 you had to charge at least $10K in the previous year on your gold or green card and have a pristine payment record with them to get an 'invitation' to pay $300 per year for the privilege of having the Platinum Card.

12. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmm, tissue paper. You mean like in a classy wedding invitation.

I'm impressed and I can't even see it!

13. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

Now, now, J. Edgar, does Mom really want to hear that on this happy day?

Actually, the day I was approved for a Citibank card, my wife said the same thing: "Wow, Citibank has really gone downhill." (She really knows how to sap the happiness out of my credit card obsession.)

Doc :)

14. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

I don't think edgar meant it that way. He was talking about the standard of amex is a little lower than it used to be. As long as amex keeps approving me, I quite frankly don't really care hehehhee.

15. Cyprigirl

Cyprigirl Well-Known Member

Saar: You're right, the Gold Rewards Plus seems to be better card, that is what I am shooting for after 3 to 6 months wih AMEX.

Cypri:)

16. Saar

Saar Banned

Tenure? Mom, didn't you get the card few month ago?

Saar

17. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

No, I didn't mean it that way, but way back when, the Platinum Card was targeted mainly at the frequent business traveller and corporate executive with high T&E (Travel and Entertainment) expesnes. It really was not intended for 'consumers' (meaning people who charged day to day items). At the time, I was buying alot of full fare airline tickets, paying for hotel stays of 4-8 days at upscale hotes, renting cars for a week or more, taking people out to dinner, etc. most of the benefits were gear towards business travellers in terms of being able to get reservations at very popular (and expensive) trendy restaurants that would impress clients, etc.

Clearly, Amex has shifted their focus for the 'Platinum' product now that they have the coveted 'Centurion Card'. I hear they are going to come out with a new 'Lithium Card' for manic depressives. Just lick the card and you'll be fine.

18. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Economy dictates this change, and amex is just following the same path Mastercard/visa did years prior.. It used to be platinum visa was a significant card too, but now any citibank holder with $1000 limit gets platinum.

19. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Yes Saar I got the green card March 2001.

20. roni

roni Well-Known Member

YEAH MOM!