Amex Platinum Charge

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by ChesterR, Sep 11, 2003.

1. ChesterR

ChesterR Active Member

I was just wondering:

Is there anyone else out there like me who really doesn't need this card but has it anyway for

- the perceived prestige

- the rewards

- the feeling of accomplishment that 'I have arrived'

- or any other superficial reason.

I have had my card for two years now, but have been a member since 1982 - back when having even a green amex was 'prestigious'.

I have to say I have never been disappointed with the cs, and it is my oldest tradeline by far - so the thought of closing the account to save $395. rarely enters my mind.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards,

ChesterR

2. kozman

kozman Well-Known Member

I received the card in the mail yesterday. I just don't know if the annual charge is worth having it. What is it good for?

3. willgator

willgator Well-Known Member

I use mine to travel starwood gold benes are worth the 300 alone ....I have business plat ........If you don't travel I don't know why you would have this card most of the benes are travel related....

4. SoParkDiva

SoParkDiva Well-Known Member

I have a friend who works for a record label. She has this card and she travels with entertainers all over the world. She uses the card to charge all her travel expenses and the label pays the bill. They give her a separate check for all her "personal" expenses. I once saw her deposit a check into her account for over $10,000. It must be nice :)

5. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

Chester,

Some of the rewards may be more "prestige" than substance, but as a whole I don't consider rewards a "superficial" reason to have the card.

If they're worth more than the annual fee...

or even better, worth more than the annual fee plus whatever rewards you could get from another card without an annual fee...

then the rewards alone could justify having the card.

6. ChesterR

ChesterR Active Member

I charge about $30-$40M per year on my card so I am just over breakeven in terms of getting my fee's worth.

If you travel alot there are some great benefits such as getting in to airport clubs while waiting for your flight, some hotel upgrades, and I think they still give a free companion ticket on certain overseas flights with the purchase of a business class ticket.

I am also a big fan of "you get what you pay for". I say this because I have always fouynd the cs to be the best. (most helpful, easiest to understand, going out of their way to do a good job and keep you satisfied). I don't always find that the case with other cards.

Just my thoughts.....

Regards,

ChesterR

7. johnamex

johnamex Member

What are the requirements to be platinum status? Green card member since 99.

8. sam

sam Well-Known Member

only that you need to pay the fee.

anyone can get platinum these days.

my bro (19) got a gold with no credit (1 macy's), then got the plat offer about 6 months later, he used the amex one time..

they are hurting for your cash so they'll give it to anyone..

9. ChesterR

ChesterR Active Member

Their web site says you must be an existing cardmember or if not, have an income of $100,000.

Are you sure it was the Platinum charge card and not a platinum Optima?

ChesterR

10. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Amex Platinum Charge

Have you considered TRADING for AMEX DELTA GOLD ($85.00)???

I have AMEX DELTA GOLD and BANK ONE UNITED VISA also...

11. sam

sam Well-Known Member

positive. my bro only made half that requirement. His gold was a charge card it was an upgrade to platinum.

there is no PRESTIGE left these days, its all bout the money.

12. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Amex Platinum Charge

Sombody here said they got a PLATINUM card (not AMEX) with a credit limit of $300 or $500!!!

"GOLD" was $5,000+
    "PLATINUM should be NO LESS THAN $10,000

13. NJones

NJones Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Amex Platinum Charge

I think most prime banks minimum for "platinum" is $5000.
    Subprime banks are different story...

14. fungifish

fungifish Member

I have a

Citi Plat Dividend
    B of A Plat
    Amex Charge Green
    (all with CL in the thousands, except for the charge)

I was offerred a Cap1 plat in the mail, which I accepted. When the card came, it came with a $300 CL. I told them "you must be joking", the CS rep told me the max he could authrorize for was a $300 increase (for a total of $600)

I told him to get a life. I cancelled the card.

15. johnamex

johnamex Member

I had the same situation Cap1 send me a platinum card with a CL of $300. Told me the same, the most they could authorize said wait 6 months for review for CL increase so I will see next month what they give me. If its crappy I will close account. Whats the deal with cap1 with these kind of CL?????

16. mephisto

mephisto Well-Known Member

Cap1 sent me a pre-approval for the business card twice now but I shredded them when I read about the generous $300 CL.

17. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Amex Platinum Charge

My guess it will be a $300.00 boost.

Cap 1 beats to a different tune.

Best regards,
    Mirage

18. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

Cap One has become notorious for issuing toy "platinum" cards, but I believe it was Citibank, incredibly, that pioneered in issuing platinum cards under $5000. I think I've read about $2000 platinum cards from Citibank. I had one for $3000.

19. ChesterR

ChesterR Active Member

George,

Is that Delta card only good for flying? We do most of our travel by car. I am not a big fan of geting on an airplane.

Can I convert points to hotels?

Regards,

ChesterR

20. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Amex Platinum Charge

I think once your account is listed as sub-prime or anything close to it you will always get the crappy CLI despite a history of perfect payment.

One can always cancel and than open a new account with better terms. For most of us with crappy credit Cap 1 took a chance on us and now we are stuck with them as they are our oldest TL.

Or as one poster here did was opened a bunch of accounts and start combining. The biggest beef with Cap 1 is that getting them to treat the customer with respect is like pulling teeth.

I myself have not received a CLI in over 18 months despite a perfect payment history of 6 years+ and the last time I tried it ended costing me 3 hard inqs. for a lousy $300.00 boost. My credit today is 100% better now so my green marbled colored Cap 1 card is used once a month for gas or whatever.

My guess it's their business model. Imagine giving one person a CL of $10,000 as oppose to 34 people a CL of $300.00 at an annual fee of $49.00 and up. Not to mention the higher APR and the chance of getting a over limit fee or a late payemnt fee. Why should Cap 1 really compete with the likings of Citibank, BofA, Chase, MBNA and Amex for the prime customers when sub-prime is more profitable and with less cc players.

Best regards,
    Mirage