AMEX Platinum

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by steve, Jun 9, 2001.

1. steve

steve Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about whether or not I should go for this in a few months. I know that some of the benefits you get with this card are:

Automatic car rental upgrades
    Airport clubroom access
    Cruise benefits ($300 credit, stateroom upgrades)
    Concierge service
    Free Membership Rewards enrollment

I'm really curious about the airport clubroom benefit. For people who have used these or know someone who has, how are they? Are they much better than the regular airline waiting areas? The thing is that I already get concierge service and some cruise benefits from my Quantum card so I was wondering if the clubroom and car rental benefits alone are worth the $300 annual fee?

2. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

I've had an Amex Platinum for about 10 years now and a Platinum Optima since they came out with it. I've been extremely please with their customer service. Whenever I call with an issue, it's resolved promptly.

Regarding Airline Clubs: These are basically private lounges that allow frequent travellers to get out of the overall chaos of the airport concourse. You don't have to deal with tourists, screaming babies, and unruly children. All clubs have agents that can check you in for your flight, give you your boarding pass, do upgrades if you are a statused frequent flyer (gold level, etc).

All of the clubs have cash bar service and also serve continental breakfast in the morning. I'm not certain, but the Delta Crown Room used to have complimentary bar service, but they may have changed over to a cash bar service.

In addition, they have amenities for the business traveller such as lots of telephones, power ports for laptops, some have 10/100T internet connection via DHCP, or phones with modem ports, copy machines, etc.

All of the clubs have a 'proper dress' stipulation. This is left to the discretion of the staff. What constitutes proper dress varies by the city. The standards in Florida are looser because many people are on vacation, so shorts would be okay, versus NYC where it's mostly business travellers, and shorts and sandals just won't do.

Amex Platinum only affords you access to the clubs on certain airlines. I think at the moment it's just Northwest and Continental, but there could be others. It's best to check with Amex to see which ones. You need to be ticketed for travel on the day you wish to use the club. Typically, you may bring one guest or travelling companion with you. Additional guests are at the discretion of the reception staff.

The clubs are usually very comfortable. When I used to travel on business quite alot, I found them most useful when I got stuck in the airport because of flight delays or a missed connection.

3. steve

steve Well-Known Member

J. Edgar, thanks very much for the info. You mentioned that you have the Optima Platinum card, I also have this card in addition to Blue so I was wondering if this is enough to get the Platinum charge card? Or should I go for the Rewards Plus Gold card and then upgrade to Platinum?

4. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

I believe that Amex still only issues their Platinum Charge Cards by invitation to qualified green or gold card holders. The principal criteria are having an excellent payment record and charging at least $10,000 on the card within the last year (or 12 month floating window, or something like that).

I'm not familiar with the other types of accounts that you had mentioned. I have a Platinum Amex and a Platinum Optima. Both of them are linked to a Membership Miles Account.

5. mj

mj Well-Known Member

The clubs are nice - I wish Amex worked with others besides Continental and Northworst. I've been a United Red Carpet member for 10 years or so (nice that they work with Delta, Lufthansa, Air Canada, ANA and Singapore too).

I keep looking at the Platinum benefits and can't justify it. Two problems -

1, rewards plus gold really adds up the points quickly, and only costs $150/year for both of our gold cards + membership rewards membership for 5 cards (2 golds, 2 blues, and 1 corporate).

2- I look at the Centurion benefits (automatic status upgrades to Continental Gold, Northwest Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Hilton Diamond, etc.) and DROOL. I'd pay the $1k a year for that in a heartbeat (it would pay me back in upgrades and double-triple point awards from the travel partners in a few months!). The problem is you can't get an INVITE for the Centurion card until you've had a Platinum charge card for at least 12 months ... and charge a minimum of $150,000 in that 12 month period. I come close if I put all of my company travel on it... but not quite enough.

Oh well... I'll stick with the R+Gold for a while.