AMEX Platinum

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by steve, Aug 11, 2003.

1. steve

steve Well-Known Member

Hi all, I took the plunge today and applied for AMEX Platinum. Anyone know the score requirements ??? I've had Blue since 99' so I hope this helps. Anyone know if they deny you if you have too many inquiries in the last 6 months??? I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

2. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

I applied for it once after having my green card for a year and was denied. I was sent an email last month with an upgrade offer. I responded, and was approved. They checked Experian and my CE score was 740.

3. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Oh -- I had seven inquiries when they checked.

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

"IF" it helps...SECOND CARD...no minimum income required...

The minimum income required to qualify for the "Card" is $20,000. If you are an existing American Express Cardmember there is no minimum income requirement to qualify for the "Card".

5. steve

steve Well-Known Member

Don't know if it helps, but I did get a couple of preapprovals for the AMEX Platinum and Gold Business cards in the past.

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

AMEX HATES ME...

I had to do a "SPIN-OFF" from BLUE to get DELTA...
    4 years (10/2003) NO limit increases...
    DENIED even "PRE-APPROVED" cards...

7. steve

steve Well-Known Member

Just called to check on the status. The rep completed the application over the phone and said I was approved!!! She said I should receive the card by UPS on Wednesday. Not a bad Monday after all.

8. thickman66

thickman66 Well-Known Member

Steve...how much did they approve you for?

9. steve

steve Well-Known Member

The card has a no pre-set spending limit so there really isn't a credit limit, but if you're going to make a large purchase like $5,000 you should call AMEX ahead of time to make sure it would be approved.

Anyone know if AMEX will tell you up to what amount you can charge before it's considered a large purchase ???

10. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: AMEX Platinum

It DEPENDS on your purchase history...

"IF" you spend $20,000 every month...it would be NO BIGGIE if you did a single purchase of $22,000 for one item...IN ONE DAY...

"IF" you spend ONLY $500 every month...YOU WILL GET A RED FLAG IF YOU SPEND MUCH OVER $1,000 IN ONE DAY...

YMMV

There is an "ON-LINE" access that says something like "will my charge be approved" or some such words to that affect...

I LIKE A "STATED" LIMIT...but that is me...

11. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

I think I remember dogman talking about a number he could call, enter the amount he wanted to spend, and it would tell you if it would be approved. That way you never have a surprise.

12. willgator

willgator Well-Known Member

IT'S ON THE WEB SITE PUT IN THE AMOUNT AND WILL GET A APPROVED OR DENIED ALSO CALL REP AND ASK WHAT LIMIT IS YOU MIGHT BE SUPRISED

13. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I had to CALL for like $150 on PLATINUM card...

I GOT A RED FLAG

A couple have a "JOINT" account his card was showing charges from ISREAL or TURKEY (I THINK)...and she is at my WAL*MART...

The stupid computer should know they are two different cards!!!

YES ID MATCHES...

Yes she is here...

FUNNY THING...HE JUST GOT BACK FROM DEN AND THEY STOPPED AT MY STORE BEFORE GOING HOME!!! (They must have NO LIFE like me...)

SHE WAS NOT TICKED AT ME OR AMEX...but I asked WHY THEY COULD NOT TELL "HE" WAS IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY AND SHE WAS AT MY WAL*MART...(2 DIFFERENT CARDS)...I JUST GOT THE LINE IT IS FOR THEIR PROTECTION...

I just asked because not just because I'M the merchant...but I am ALSO a customer of AMEX and would like to know...

14. steve

steve Well-Known Member

Got the card today by UPS. Came with a nice, easy to read brochure that listed all the benefits.

Anyone know if the car rental insurance is primary, like Diners or is it secondary coverage???

15. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: AMEX Platinum

I HAVE NEVER SEEN A CREDIT CARD INSURANCE AS PRIMARY...

16. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: AMEX Platinum

Steve - CONGRATS dude - I want one!
    Call 18005284800 and follow the tough tone guide - or like hedwig said - go to the website.
    I have punched in $25000 on the GREEN and it always says - OK - as long as you keep up to date on your acct.

GEORGE - Don't you love it - had to call in for $150 on the AMEX PLATINUM Charge? Security or not - that would piss me off royally.

Of course, the Dogman has not been offered anything except GREEN CARD - 38 months now.
    We'll see what they offer the second the reports go clean...

But - yup - I would like the Platinum Card.
    Heck, the Govenor of CA has a Plat Card - er - many of them do.....LOL
    aarrff - dogman

17. steve

steve Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: AMEX Platinum

Thanks, dogman. I'm sure they'll give you the Platinum card soon. By the Governor of CA, you mean Gray Davis or Arnold??? I think Arnold has a Centurion. If AMEX ever offered me that I'd be a happy camper for a long time.

18. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

I think Gray Davis charged a lot on his AmEx Platinum card last month, but now he can't pay his balance in full....he needs to apply for some card that lets him roll over his balance to the year 2050 or so, LOL.

19. marci

marci Well-Known Member

LOL!

20. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

LOL!
    Hey Marci!
    Hey RichGuy - I want one of those cards - where there's no way you can possibly pay it - but what the heck, you're in a different job later LOL!

well done :)