AMEX Platinum

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Mike, Apr 5, 2001.

1. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

I have the Blue and Optima Platinum and I'm thinking about going for the Platinum charge card someday. I was wondering which is a better way to go for this card: go for the Gold charge card first and then go for the Platinum OR wait a few years for my 2 AMEX accounts to age a little more (they're currently 1 1/2 yrs old) and then go for Platinum? I know the Platinum's annual fee is $300 per year which includes Membership Rewards, but I think it is worth it if you travel a lot for business or pleasure.

2. Saar

Saar Banned

I would not advise you to do anything special to get the card. This is not the Centurion where you first need to be a Platinum holder in excellent standing.

If you have 2 revolving tradelines from Amex and meet the minimum income requirement, applying is all you need to do. BTW, some think the Amex Gold Rewards Plus provides better value for your money. Check the features of these 2 on Amex web site to see which one is best for you.

Saar

3. Jason-AMEX

Jason-AMEX Guest

I just upgrade from Rewards Plus Gold to Platinum and love it (only 2 weeks). We are taking a trip to NY in June and Platinum travel service hoocked us up with a nice hotel (the Plaza) and free upgrade to luxuary suite and $50 gift card and got us an upgraded car rental and saved $30 compared to what I could have got on the internet. My wife and I also go on cruises a lot and are excited about the shipboard credit of $300 your get or free cabin upgrade and dinner with the captain!

Yes, the RPG is a good card, and it all depends on your lifestle and preferences. If you travel frequently, the Platinum card is good.

You might want to try out the RPG card fist before you apply for platinum to see if that card better meets your needs.

4. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

Jason, do you have to pay the $40 fee for membership rewards with the Platinum card or does this card come with automatic enrollment like Rewards Plus Gold?

Thanks.

5. Jason-AMEX

Jason-AMEX Guest

The MR fee is complimentary like the RPG card. however, you do not get the 2 bonus points the first year and 1.5 after that when you make purchases with the travel partners and also cannot borrow 10,000 points per year. That, and no free supp cards are the main difference, but as you know, the Platinum provides a lot of other services that save money and be nice/fun. Fo full details, check out americanexpress.com/platinum and

http://www25.americanexpress.com/cards/Fmacfservlet?13/20/b/3/0/095231907917/20/n