Amex preapproval

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Momof3, Jun 30, 2001.

1. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Ok I just checked online to see if I was approved for anything new other than add a card member to my green. Well to my suprise I see the AE Optima card, it states because of my standing an an Optima card holder they invite me to add an additional card to my account?? I am confused, I am not an Optima card member, so I thought maybe that meant I was preapproved for the Optima card, but when I click accept the preapproval it asked for my basic account name and number and requires me to add an additonal card member. So does this mean I am approved or is there a computer glitch somewhere??

2. SisterGirl

SisterGirl Well-Known Member

Momof3,

That also happened to me about 3 weeks ago;I called customer service & they said it was a "glitsch" in their system that I recommended they fix(they saw what card I have).

It is NOT a true preapproval;however I could still add another user to my "green charge card".

Love & Peace,
    Sister Girl

3. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Thanks Sister girl:) I thought so too by what info it asked me, which if perfectly fine. I am holding out for the blue anyway, but always check just to see what offers they give me, I knew this one was wrong since I don't have the card to begin with LOL.

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

PRE-APPROVED MEANS NOTHING...EVEN FOR AMERICAN EXPRESS....

There is a part on the web site that has apply for a card...
    http://www25.americanexpress.com/cards/Fmacfservlet?pers_home=cardlearn
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you're a Cardmember, it pays to log in before you apply for another Card account. You can find out if you're pre-approved, qualify for special offers, learn how a second
    Card will enhance your current Card relationship, and more!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I HAD AMERICANEXPRESS BLUE AND WAS DENIED THE PLATINUM CASH BACK CARD EVEN THOUGH IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A PRE-APPROVED CARD...SO DON'T ASSUME LIKE I DID IT WAS A DONE DEAL...

5. SisterGirl

You know what ? I checked right after I responded to your post & I received the SAME thing again.

It makes me want to print the page & DEMAND that they give me what they say I have(LOL).

What is your feeling on this?

Sister Girl

6. SisterGirl

Hey George,

Amex is known for being full of it on those pre-approved offers;so much in fact when they gave me a false "upgrade to Gold" charge(then said my 680 went to 664 due to 2 recent new cards...causing decline), I complained until they reversed my $55.00 annual fee & $75.00 courtesy credit.

I pointed out to them that in the future,I will record my conversations with them(since they record your conversations with them & is not illegal AS LONG AS THEY KNOW THEY ARE BEING RECORDED).

Sister Girl

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

MY BLUE IS PAID OFF...THEY LOST ME, SINCE I'M NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR TWO CARDS...THEY DON'T WANT ANY OF MY BUSINESS.

NO RETENTION PERSON HAS EVER CALLED.
    THEY NEVER EVEN CONFIRMED IN WRITING THAT MY ACCOUNT IS CLOSED.

8. steve

steve Well-Known Member

I agree with George that preapprovals don't mean much even for Amex because I have Blue and Optima Platinum and when I checked the Amex website for the preapprovals I found that I had been preapproved for every card, even the Gold senior member card. This card is for people 62 and over so I don't know why I should be eligible for this since I'm not even half this age. I guess Amex will make me an honorary senior member.

9. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

MOM - same thing happened to me and I was approved for all the Cards :)

I thought hmmmm..... clicked on accect preapproval for Gold and then it looked good - do you want Card mailed to your current card billing address - yes - arf-
    then please submit the following - basically a fast hard credit application.

I went back on my browser - clicked on AMEX Platinum Charge - arrrrfffff - and it did the same thing. Now, I still only get the Additiional Card screen.

MOM - now you're a homeowner - I bet you will get the very best offers and large lines - when AMEX snaps your record and sees new mortgage I bet they will offer you PLAT quickly. I would of been there now if I had a decent past history :)

hope you do not need to wallpaper - dogman

10. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Hi Steve !!

I guess I qualified for the Senior Member Card too! :) Now, if we could cross that information with an auto insurance company's database - lower risk -hmmmm....... :)

drive safely - dogman