AMEX - Product Switch?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Cadillac408, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

O.k. just got off the phone with AMEX.

I received my Gold Delta SkyMiles card in the mail yesterday and activated it. When I applied for the card, I didn't know it was going to have a $2k limit or else I never would of did a $1k BT. It was too late to change anything. So activations said to call New accounts in the morning to see about getting a higher limit.

I called New accounts and the rep said that since I was on the borderline credit score wise, she had to submit the request to a credit manager for approval. She stated that no new report was needed. The borderline, by the way is 650 and I had exactly a 650! :p The rep said she would call me in a few days. I told her that whatever's cleaver and if all else failed that I would BT outta there to my new MBNA card so that I am not at 50% usage on that card.

Then (for kicks) I called the number on the back of my Delta card and selected '4' to cancel. I was transferred to Membership Consulting services. I asked the rep if I had an option to change products. Told him that I might not no longer be interested in Delta miles. I asked him if it was an option to change to another product. He stated YES, and he asked me for my account number to see what he could offer me. I gave it to him but reiterated that I was JUST CURIOUS. He offered me either Blue at 12.99%, Platinum Cashback card (didn't mention apr), any of the hotel cards, and either Green or Gold Charge. Since I am real close to getting a charge card on my own, that option is out. The hotel cards are obviously out so that leaves either Blue or Platinum cash back. I wonder if they really can do what they say? I've already had what is turning into a bad experience with Membership Consulting but that was over a toy secured Optima card. This is a real card, maybe they won't be playing games??? To be honest, the chances of me flying Delta are pretty slim. I just got the card to get my foot in the door.

Anyone else care to comment? I'm just sharing info.

Saar.....any comments?

2. $wealth$

$wealth$ Well-Known Member

Wow, you received your card quick.

I was approved for their corp gold card, I think the day before your approval, and haven't receeived anything yet. I hope the rep wasn't pulling my leg with the "you've been approved" line.

Anyway, way to go with getting your foot in the door.

3. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

I wonder if it is possible to switch from a gold " charge" card to a platinum cash back?

4. river

river Well-Known Member

MP$40, I can't really help you on this issue but just wanted to congradulate you on moving up in the Amex "prime". Do you think having the secure Optima helped you any or was it having the the score that was the "kick" that opened the door to upgrading?
    Just curious. Thanks.

5. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Hey River! Nice to cyber see ya!

After speaking with several reps, the bottom line was this: They TALK like the secured card had weight but after the dust cleared......it had NO weight. I got the card based on my score. Maybe someone saw the number of inquiries that I've had from AMEX and decided to give me a break? I was on the boarder line. So the secured Optima didn't help me with squat. Email me some time and we can chat!