AMEX progression - part 2

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Saar, Sep 5, 2000.

  1. Saar

    Saar Banned

    I've recently shared my AMEX story, of getting AMEX green based on an AMEX issued by a foreign bank.

    Today I called again to inquire about card options. I explained to the rep that my foreign AMEX was a credit card, whereas AMEX green (for which they approved me) is a charge card. I asked that they review this decision, since I wish to be able to revolve balances.
  2. Saar

    Saar Banned

    She then told me to destroy the AMEX green (I haven't used it yet) and that I'm approved for AMEX Optima Platinum.

    I've browsed their web site, and noticed this card seems to have great benefits. Post-intro APR is a little high, but I'm not worried, since it has many many benefits.

  3. Steven Z

    Steven Z Guest

    Speaking of lucky flukes :)

    What kind of card did you hold with AMEX Canada and for how long?

    Did you have to present payslips or anything of that sort in this progression?

    I have the "glorious" AMEX Airmiles card since February and really haven't use it all that much. Furthermore, I mainly work on a cash basis wherever I am.

    Do you think if I use it somewhat more and wait say to the year anniversary then go for the progression they'll convert it to the Optima Platinum? But I'll take the AMEX green no problem.

    And yes, to answer your outspoken question I have dual-citizenship and also have residences in both countries.
  4. dogman

    dogman Well-Known Member

    Steven - Call 1800THECARD

    Steven- they will give you the Green Card now.
    If you already have the AMEX airmiles, you'll get the Green in one phone call.

    You could ask them to swap to Platinum Optima because maybe you no longer use the particular airline.

    Good luck - Dogman
  5. Steven Z

    Steven Z Guest

    RE: Perhaps AMEX rep can answe

    Dogman, perhaps you misunderstand this is AMEX card issued from AMEX of Canada, the AIR MILES program is only valid for residents of Canada the UK, Spain and the Netherlands.
    in case your interested in a look.

    The closest thing to that offered by the main American branch is the Delta SkyMiles.

    If this is what you meant then there would still be the matter of the questions I have brought up e.g. How long of a credit history do I need with AMEX (its barely been 8 months), do I need to provide income statements.

    Don't get me wrong, I'll pay off the balance and happily exchange for the American based green or optima card in a minute (as I resolutely maintain never and I mean EEEEEEEVVVVVVERRR touch a sub-prime card) if given the confirmation.
  6. Saar

    Saar Banned

    RE: Perhaps AMEX rep can answe


    If you have any AMEX (other than company card) from a foreign country, it may be converted to a US AMEX card. The type of card and whether it would be a credit or charge card are determined based on your foreign card.

    To initiate this procedure (called a Structure Change) you do not need to have a long history with AMEX: The mere holding of a foreign AMEX card entitles you to apply for a structure change.

    And no, you do not need to show payslips or anything. Also, they won't pull your credit report.

    Structure Changes are exclusively processed by AMEX Special Handling Dept. They can be reached directly at 1-800-453-2639.

    Hope this helps, Steven.

    (As to your question in a previous post: Why would you think I'm a Canadian?)

  7. Steven Z

    Steven Z Guest

    RE: AMEX Structure Change

    Sorry, that was presumptious of me.

    But I'm thankful for the info and will see what they can do for me soon.

Share This Page