AMEX Protected Me from SEARS 2 day

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dogman, Jul 6, 2001.

1. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Hey all - here is another example of why AMEX is worth the fee.

I bought a new dishwasher over the phone from SEARS - while looking at the model I wanted on the web. It was the newer version of the same model I had owned for about 6 years. It was delivered this morning - on my day off.

Sears delivered at 9:30 - on time - took the box - and left me no receipt. I didn't think anything about it because I had charged to Amex. They took the box with them - it looked fine.

I put in a load of dishes and then dicovered the latch was defective - SO - pissed, I called SEARS
    and told them I needed a new one today.
    The sales guy Larry was off for two days.
    The other sales guy, Jason, told me that there were no managers available to talk with me.

I said, "You mean there is nobody above you that can help me now"- he said, "No."
    I asked to be transferred to Consumer Complaints - EXEC OFCS - Talked with Jocelyn - who was nice - but
    unfortunately, the best Jocelyn could do was to try to get someone at the store for me.

I 3-way conferenced on Mr. Richardson, AMEX Rep, with SEARS executive offices and myself. Mr. Richardson said, "You are protected by AMEX Mr. Dogman, and if SEARS will not resolve this with you, we will do what we need to do to contest the charges for you."

I asked AMEX, "AND, I do not even have a receipt from SEARS for this dishwasher - and I have told that to Jocelyn in Executive Complaints."

AMEX, "Your Card was charged by SEARS on the 3rd for the dishwasher. We can identify the purchase."

Dogman, "Thanks Amex!"

SEARS found Store MGR Mr. Hoover who told me it would take a week to get another shipped from southern california. I told him to see what he could do - or I would just set this one outside and let SEARS pick it up whenever they could find time.

AMEX - 10 points
    SEARS - 3 points

The thing I liked about the DOG-SEARS-AMEX 3 way call was that AMEX never even spoke to SEARS - always through me.

c ya dogman

2. cable666

cable666 Well-Known Member

Amex went to bat with me once when I was renting a Ford Explorer from Enterprise Car Rental for a ski trip on my Amex Gold card.

The rep at Enterprise tried to pull an insurance rip off on me. He flate out told me that the automatic car rental insurance than comes with my Amex card does not cover Ford Explorers and I would have to pay an extra $15 a day for Enterprises insurance.

So I called Amex right there. The Amex rep asked to speak to the clerk directly. They went off to the side and had a long a heated discussion. Fiveteen minutes later the clerk came back really pissed off and told me that I did not need the insurance. He was really steamed.

Thanks Amex!

3. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Way to go dogman!! Amex truly is awesome.

4. SisterGirl

SisterGirl Well-Known Member

Way to go,Dog....

I recently cancelled my Sears card due the same type of "inferior" customer service from them;the Executive offices talk to you like you are some idiot.

The quality that I grew up with(everything was Kenmore)certainly have taken a major dive & I relieved myself of their services due to the lack of customer satisfaction.

Peace,
    Sister Girl

5. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

GREAT insurance story.....

That was a great car rental scam story.....I am glad you didn't try to rent an EXPEDITION! I am sure the rep made 20-30% of each insurance sale they added.

[The REP might have added $15 a day for FIRESTONE tire coverage :) ].
    Maybe he was really helping you and trying to get you into a much safer vehicle...... :)

They are a great company!
    thanks for sharing - dogman

6. cable666

cable666 Well-Known Member

Re: GREAT insurance story.....

The Expedition is NOT covered by Amex. It is considered a specialty vehical.

7. river

river Well-Known Member

Re: GREAT insurance story.....

amex is awsome.Hey dogman;)