Amex rep - blacklist!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dean, Oct 1, 2000.

1. dean

dean Guest

How long does Amex keep derogatory information if you had a charge off with them? I called them and they would not answer the question. I've read elsewhere that Amex has a "blacklist", and once you get on bad terms with them you will never again be extended credit. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
    Dean

2. Janet

Janet Guest

I believe the blacklist is true, and you can't blame them, either.

3. JacquiG

JacquiG Well-Known Member

I had an acct with them when I filed BK in Dec 1988, but kept the card. It was closed in summer of '89 after a payment disappeared (I guess they didn't trust me anymore). The remainder went into collection, which I paid off in 1990. They sent me a pre-approval (yeah, I know) in Dec 99, and I did get the green one again.

During the summer, I called to ask a question, and the rep said something about 'Your other account'. It confused me for a minute, since I only have one, but then she said she was talking about my ORIGINAL acct. So they did know who I was, and gave me another account anyway. Maybe because mine was paid?

4. dean

dean Guest

Thank You!

That insight on your experience is very helpful and informative. I have made several attempts to pay them back (the amount was only $300), and believe it or not, no one that I talked to on the phone could give me information on how to pay back on my original account. I will try calling Centurion Bank and talking with them per some of the post I have seen here.

Again JacquiG, thanks for your story!

5. justme

justme Guest

I was an authorized user on my girlfriend's account in the early 90s when we were in college (yes, a college kid with an AmEx). We broke up and she didn't pay, and they tried to come after me but then stopped when they relaized I was only an authorized user. I also made them delete the info from my credit file, which they did. I tried to apply for my own a few years later and was denied because of the way I handled an old account. I believe they do keep a database, and I was too young and not interested enough to dispute that and explain to them I was only an authorized user.

6. AMEX  rep

AMEX rep Guest

Sorry, but there is no blacklist. They do keep all accounts on file though--regardless of previos history--good or bad. you can pay the old debt, and get another account with them--you are not perminately "barred" from membership with them. Chech out the posts by Dogman on this

7. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Probably because you paid it relatively quickly. Also, most of the worst AmEx stories deal with accounts discharged in bankruptcy. You kept yours instead of including it in the bankruptcy.