Amex Secured ?? about reporting

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by molly, May 10, 2001.

1. molly

molly Well-Known Member

I know they don't report but do you think it would be beneficial to try and get it added manually by sending in a copy of your statement to the CRA? I know it wouldn't be updated monthly but wouldn't it still look good having Amex on your report (that is if the balance is low)? Just a thought.

2. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

I don't think it would help. It would turn stale in a since that it's a revolving account that hasn't been updated regularly. It would be different if it was an installment loan that you paid XX months on and paid in full and then requested to have that added. That I think would look good because it's telling whoever that this person had a loan and paid it off in full (therefore not needing to be updated regulary). But I think revolving accounts need to be updated regularly for them to have effect.

What you might? consider doing is reporting the trade AFTER you close the account???? Report the whole history of the account and mark it "Closed by consumer...". I think that would help???

Just my opinion.....I could be wrong.

3. CardKid

CardKid Well-Known Member

I had the horrible Amex Optima secured card up until about a few weeks ago. I tried everything under the sun to get it reported and the credit reporting agencies all concluded that it is at the credit card issuers discretion.

I had the card for one year and cancelled it. Then, they had the gull to tell me my security deposit will be held for 60 days. I sent a message via Planet Feedback. That did not help in this case.

The only benefit of this card is when you want to lower your reported usage ratio by using the unreported "American Excuse" card.

CardKid

4. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

Molly I suggest you to close you optima secured. It's a waste of time and money!!.

I had the optima secured 2.5K deposit for 15 months and then the regular unsecured optima
    1k credit limit/ 0 cahs adv limit since june2000. Never late or over limit , low balances.

By the way the limit has never been increased and still it is not being reporting to the bureaus. Also there are not upgrades. If I would like a better card Amex I would have to apply for. Figure it out!!. Well... Who cares I already have two citi 9k limits each, BofA 6K and chase 2K.

5. molly

molly Well-Known Member

I am keeping it until I can get a green amex card. I like that I can purchase items on it and it won't be reported plus the apr is low, something like 13.9%. It has actually worked out for me, I have saved money and not been able to touch it. I will save until I get $2,000 and then I am going to open a Cash Management Account. I currently have $1,500. Like you, I already have 2 Citi's and 1 BofA and really don't need it but will keep it for a savings tool until I can move to a CM Account.