Amex Secured Optima Update

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Eboni, Nov 1, 2000.

1. Eboni

Eboni Guest

I just got off the phone with Amex. The program is being discontinued but any applications they have now they are processing.

They received my application on the 17th of Oct, the check cleared my bank on the 19th of Oct. "The bank couldn't verify my mailing address through normal means" so they are sending me a letter for me to mail back to them. After they receive this letter it will take 7-10 before I receive my card.

Molly might want to call them too to make sure they have all the info they need from her.

I'm really glad I applied when I did. I have been putting it off for about a year. Looks like I've had good timing :) I have been refusing to apply for secured cards, but the AMEX name is hard to resist.

2. molly

molly Well-Known Member

Yes I just read Jason's post. Do you have the phone number?

3. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Question for eboni?

I dont even use my optima because my limit is only $200. I just use in once in a blue moon. How much did you open the account with Ebony? Also, I am hoping they will report my good history after one year which will be May'01.

4. Eboni

Eboni Guest

RE: Question for eboni?

$1500, I need some card to use for flights and trips. I might have to increase it if I start traveling on business again and I can't get an AMEX corporate from my job. They will give me a bonus or something to add the money to the card.

If I only did a small amount there would be no point. How could I prove credit worthy if I charge a coffee at Starbucks (do they take AMEX?)?

I think to prove yourself credit worthy you need a limit large enough for to charge stuff and pay it off. Just my opinion.

5. molly

molly Well-Known Member

I just read Niecy25's post and she said that they are converting some accounts. The ones that qualify for a regular card. I opened mine with $200. The rest are being paid off with their deposits and the money left over is being sent back.

6. Eboni

Eboni Guest

800-528-4800
    Option 5
    Enter your SSN number and then it will give your account status. Anything like they need more info hang on to speak to a REP.

The REP was VERY NICE.

7. Eboni

Eboni Guest

That doesn't apply for new applicants I don't think. She said they were going to continue processing my application. You have nothing to worry about.

8. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Eboni, I cant afford to give Amex no $1,500. My God. You went all out though and I have to give you credit. I use my new Citi cards for almost everything I need now. Since I moved I have used them alot with my buying things for my new apartment. Anyway, I think having a higher deposit may make AMEx unsecure you faster. I was thinking about that factor was considering going up to $500. But, I dont know. What does anyone else think of that?

9. molly

molly Well-Known Member

I was planning on depositing $125 a month for the next year. By then I would have almost 2k. I thought that would make them want to unsecure it.

10. Eboni

Eboni Guest

I just went all out because I BLOW money. i wanted to put some money somewhere I can't touch it. I though AMEX and a 3% return was pretty good. Not as good as the 6% on my money market but I can take money out of that at anytime.

Anyway the point is I have 1500 that I can't touch. Since I plan on pay atleast 1/2 of what I charge every month off that month, and the rest the next month, I should be in good standing with AMEX.

Plus the way my companies stock is diving a 3% return on my investment is looking really good :)