AMEX- Urgency

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by nancy, Aug 7, 2001.

1. nancy

nancy Active Member

Soory, its long.

A couple of months ago I found myself in a desperate situation, because I owed more than I was able to handle. (I think I opened too much credit.) I went ahead and joined a debt mgt co.- not knowing any better. Soon enough I realized it was a mistake and to make matters worse they were not making on time payments. I dismissed my membership with them and contacted the creditors on my own.

While this was going on, AMEX immediately sent my account to a CA. I was notified by a rep from the CA, and was threaetened and treated like horribly. I called AMEX, to speak to someone/anyone- no luck. I was told they would not speak to me to speak to the CA. I was able to speak to manager and make a pay plan. However, she handed the account to another rep, that is so rude. I have the money ($2000), and I want to pay but only if they agree to remove the "Collections" remark on my credit report. They won't budge. The rep stated "we have no control over those remarks...deal with AMEX". Mind you I've already paid $600.

I want to keep this account opened (being that they closed it without contacting me). I also want to deal with AMEX not collections. Who should I contact in the AMEX office? What should I do? Do youu think I have an opprtunity in reopening this account?

NEED URGENT HELP!

Nancy

2. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

If I might inquire, what is the name of the collection agency?

3. keltexx

keltexx Well-Known Member

Lizard King-

As far as contacting the original creditor prior to it being sent back out, can you give some advice on how to do this, and how to pay without it showing up as a paid collection on your report?

Thanks.

4. nancy

nancy Active Member

Schwartz & Schwartz

5. nancy

nancy Active Member

Where can I get a copy of the standard validation letter? Also, whom in AMEX shall I contact and how (is a letter better than a call)?

6. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

I agree, that I would go with the Validation Letter.

I asked, because when I was working for a credit counseling agency, as soon as we would submit a proposal to AMEX, they would then send the account to RMA (which i believe is an arm of Equifax). Had it been RMA you were hearing from, it would have been a normal course of business.

Kind of off the mark, but AMEX had a policy for credit counseling clients during the time I worked: On revolving account, once the customer had contacted a credit counseling agency, the APR on the account was immediately set at the highest APR available, regardless of the previous rate.

7. nancy

nancy Active Member

May I ask, what is a validation letter? Where can I get a copy of on or its contents? What exactly is a validation letter?

8. Shirley

Shirley Well-Known Member

Wouldn't a C&D stating that they intend to settle the debt with the original creditor help?

9. nancy

nancy Active Member

What is a C & D?

10. nancy

nancy Active Member

I've even considered sending a letter to AMEX top executives. The rep I spoke to yesterday threatened to mark my credit report with lates. Is that legal?

11. cable666

cable666 Well-Known Member

The content of your credit report is controlled by the FCRA. If you were late on paying a debt, it can be reported on your credit report.

A credit can not post false information, nor can a CRA report disputed and unverified information.

And then are the time limits on how long negative information can be reported. You know the 7 year thing.

So to answer your question, if you were late paying Amex, they will report it. I do find the threats to report it odd, since I can assure you that they have already done so.

12. Candi

Candi Well-Known Member

C & D = CEASE AND DISIST
    DO A SEARCH ON THIS SITE AND YOU WILL FIND THE SAMPLE FOR THIS AND THE VALIDATION LETTER SAMPLE. JUST TYPE IN "SAMPLE LETTER" FOR THE SEARCH. I'VE NEVER WORKED WITH AMEX SO I'LL LET SOMEONE MORE KNOWLEDGABLE HELP YOU IN REGARDS TO CONTACTING THEM. IT WOULD DO YOU ALOT OF GOOD TO READ OVER SOME POSTS, YOU'LL UNDERSTAND WHAT PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT, BUT FEEL FREE TO ASK QUESTIONS, PEOPLE HERE ARE GOOD TO ANSWER.
    GOOD LUCK!!!