AMEX website - Something strange

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by steve, May 31, 2001.

1. steve

steve Well-Known Member

I clicked on apply for a card and then clicked on I'm already a cardmember. Then I clicked on learn more about our other cards. I got a page listing all of the AMEX cards with learn more and apply now options. I clicked on learn more for Rewards Plus Gold and just for fun, AMEX Platinum. Now something really strange happened, I scrolled to the bottom of the page and noticed an accept pre-approval button for both cards. Does this mean I'm pre-approved for RPG and Platinum charge or is this option available to all registered AMEX cardholders?

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

NO, YOUR NOT "PRE-APPROVED"...just ask me...

Had BLUE...clicked on the "ACCEPT PRE-APPROVED OFFER" BUTTON for AMEX CASH-BACK PLATINUM CARD...

I still got denied...called to complain, the guy said he didn't see ANY REASON FOR DENIAL...STILL NO CARD!!!

THEIR LOSS...

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

...But you are "PRE-APPROVED" for the second card holder offer!!!

4. steve

steve Well-Known Member

I think I'll pass on the second Blue card. I guess pre-approvals doesn't mean guaranteed approval even for Amex.

5. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

You didn't get REASON letter stating why you were denied.

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

The reasons were copied from EXPERIAN CREDIT REPORT...

PORTION OF BALANCES...
    TOO MANY BANK...
    TOO MANY ACCOUNTS WITH BALANCES...
    LACK OF INSTALLMENT LOAN...

18 MONTHS OF PERFECT PAYMENT HISTORY WITH AMERICANEXPRESS BLUE...
    IS WORTH NOTHING.

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

TOO MANY ACCOUNTS WITH BALANCES...logic would say if you have a card it would have a balance on it at some point in time...or you would not have it!!!

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Perfect payment history for 23 years with all credit, means NOTHING either...

9. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

Unusual about Lack of Installment Loan, Always in my top factors making index higher from True Credit, You have not opened any installment loans in the past two years, This is making your index higher.

10. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

THEY SAID I COULD APPLY FOR AN INSTALLMENT LOAN...but DON'T do it if I really don't need it...I have 4 cars and 3 drivers I won't be buying a new car any time soon...the last two cars were from private parties and wrote a check...

I DID HAVE AN INSTALLMENT LOAN WITH JC PENNEYS...IT WAS LIKE
    A "SUB" ACCOUNTOF THE REGULAR CHARGE CARD...

11. steve

steve Well-Known Member

Just checked the AMEX website again and it looks like I'm preapproved for every card I click on. What's really funny is that I'm even preapproved for the AMEX Gold Senior member card (age 62 or over) and I'm not even half this age. Maybe AMEX will make me an honorary senior member and give me this card!