AMEX

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by James, Jun 23, 2000.

1. James

James Guest

Does anyone know if the amex secured card ever becomes unsecured and after how long?

2. Alex - Cre

Alex - Cre Guest

I'm not sure about AMEX, but they seem to be pretty strict but a lot of companies usually will require an average of 6 to 12 months of good payment history before they will consider you for a credit line increase or switch you to unsecured status.

A.F.

-----------------
    Free Credit Repair Information!
    http://www.Creditinsiders.com

3. Mick

Mick Guest

No don't even bother with the American Express Secured Optima. It does not become unsecured after 12 months. Im mad at them because they lied to me not only they promised to unsecure it after 12 months after my approval they took it another step I was trick into paying next year annual fee they told me my deposit was in the mail the month I was to pay my annual fee so I sent in my annual fee and next month was told I needed to reapply for the regular optima card I feel I was scammed. Now that My credit is better I will not apply for the unsecured card and Never Do Business with them. So Dont waste your time with this company and also they do not report to the credit bureaus. Thank you and I hope you won't Make the same mistake as I did.

4. Bernd Lern

Bernd Lern Guest

RE: AMEX y rqu

Ihre Amex Karte ist gelöscht und in den USA nicht mehr zu reparieren.

Weiter Info nur persönlich.

Viele Gruesse aus Deutschland:

Quote: Your Card is definitivly unsecured and wthn US not to repair.
    More Info to reguard directly.
    Greetings from Germany: Unquote

B e r n d Lerner

5. Bernd Lern

Bernd Lern Guest

RE: AMEX y rqu

Ihre Amex Karte ist gelöscht und in den USA nicht mehr zu reparieren.

Weiter Info nur persönlich.

Viele Gruesse aus Deutschland:

Quote: Your Card is definitivly unsecured and wthn US not to repair.
    More Info to reguard directly.
    Greetings from Germany: Unquote

B e r n d Lerner

6. BarryN - C

BarryN - C Guest

James,

Becoming "unsecured" with AMEX means more than just having a good payment history with them during the 12-18 month period. It also means your credit reports better be improved over that time. I beleive they check your reports when they review you for "unsecured" status. I was once a strong beleiver in this program, but now I can not reccomend it for the simple fact that they do not report it to the bureaus. Your only record of having this account is internally at AMEX. So if you are trying to rebuild history, this is not a good choice.

On the other hand, I like AMEX as a company. For the folks with good credit, they have many wonderful tools to use on their website. But I disagree with how they handle this "second chance" optima program.

Good Luck,

BarryN

James wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Does anyone know if the amex secured card ever becomes unsecured and after how long?

7. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

To your knowledge does AMEX only report payment history (not credit limit) on its unsecured cards?

8. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

They don't seem to report to Experian. Only thing showing is an inquiry, no limit, no payment history.

Profit from the experience.

http://www.creditsense.com

9. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

RE: AMEX - doesn't report

The CRA's have have made statements to the effect that they deem this practise unacceptable. I wouldn't be too surprised to find AMEX shortly locked out Experian's system. The same will go for the other two if they continue with this pattern.

In this light, would you recommend this company for

A. A business
    B. An individual

if they no longer report to the CRA's.

10. curiouser

curiouser Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if this is reporting error for your account(s). I have both an Optima card and an AMEX Green and both appear on my Experian, Equifax and TransUnion reports. Credit limit and payment history for the Optima and payment history for the Green.

11. Don

Don Well-Known Member

I had a personal AMEX, and now have a corporate AMEX...the corp card never shows up on credit reports, the personal card always showed up with the current month's balance...never any indication of a "credit limit"...overall, I have found them to be fair and accurate
    in what they report..they now show my account closed by cardholder, which is correct...

12. Stormie

Stormie Guest

In my line of work I review lots of credit reports and I do see American Express accounts on all three credit reporting agencies. This includes the Optima accounts as well. However It could be they are not reporting the secured Optima cards, I would contact American Express and ask them what their policies are for secured cards. Perhaps asking them to send you some information on it. If the tell you they report inform them yours is not appearing on your credit report. If you do not get the desired action form them contact the credit agencies yourself and they will investigate the matter. Hope you can get this matter fixed, as after all that is the whole point of the card, trying to rebuild your credit/or establish credit. That is hard to do if it's not reported. Which won't get you the results you need.

13. Rich Woods

Rich Woods Guest

Can someone point me in the right direction
    on how to get an AMEX secured card?

Thanks.

14. BarryN - C

BarryN - C Guest

http://home1.americanexpress.com/apply/optima/deposit/docs/page1b0.asp?Entry=20

Remember they do not report this to the credit bureaus... unless its a negative like late pays or collection.

Good Luck,

BarryN