ANB gas card denial

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Marie, Mar 6, 2001.

1. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

ok, I just got my first denial since bk. Yes, my first. I had only responded to preapproved offers for the first 12 mos and lately I've gotten a Nextcard w/great rates, an Aria (yeah, but I'm working on their terms), and a new Prov MC.

So I got a bit cocky, I guessed at my Beacon score and made a stab at a Citgo gas card. I'd heard they were easier to get. I knew the automated system would deny me b/c of the bk but I went for the manual override (Dogman is my God for giving me the basic idea of asking for an override).

Anyway, still got denied but I did get a LOT of info out of today's talk. First, I got my Beacon score!!!!! Not bad considering I'm heavy on balances right now. The supervisor actually commented that my score was as high as she'd ever seen so soon after a bk. So this process is working!

The useful info I did get: ANB will override and accept you post bk, but they like 24 months, 3 credit lines good post bk. I've got 9 current lines going, all perfect, but my oldest is only 18 months or so now. She genuinely encouraged me to apply again later this year when 3 of my accounts age a bit.

Oh, and I was told that ANB does NOT report gas cards anyway. Their cards are:
    Amoco Credit Card
    BP Credit Card
    CITGO Plus Credit Card
    Shell Credit Card
    Texaco Credit Card

She made a point of noting they only report delinquent accounts, and Amoco especially reports delinquent accounts.
    I asked about the "what if you request your Texaco to report" and she said NO. not to her knowledge. So I'm going on the assumption that they don't unless someone on this board requests reporting and actually gets it.

So, the theory of gas cards being more difficult to get is true. There was no magic Beacon score they would give me, they do override, but they don't report. So for building credit, they're a wash.

They did offer me a secured visa or mc, but since none of my cards are secured... I said no thanks.

2. Y.M.

Y.M. Guest

AND=?

3. katrina

katrina Guest

Do you have the telephone number you called Marie? I am 3 years post bk and was just denied for their visa. I would like to try the manual thing.

4. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

y.m. Oh, Hi Bobby!!!

Glad to see your posts are adding nothing, as usual.

5. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Katrina

I called the number on the denial letter. Requested a manual override and they got back to me in a week.

But you know, since they don't report it's not going to help you rebuild, it'll just be another card in your wallet.

6. curiouser

curiouser Well-Known Member

I think you may have gotten some incorrect info about ANB gas cards reporting to CRAs. I just checked my most recent Experian report (1/01) and both my Shell & Texaco cards are there and have been for the last two years. The listings are for ANB-Shell and ANB-Texaco. I never requested that they be reported. I don't revolve a balance on either of these cards. Nor have I ever been late with a payment, so it isn't that they are reporting a problematic account.

7. katrina

katrina Guest

Marie

I applied for the associates visa. Does that make a difference in reporting? I don't have a letter, I called customer service and they are the ones that told me I was declined. Can you post the telephone number you called?

8. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Thanks Marie. I really don't want a gas card now after being turned down for Mobil and Chevron. Just like you I think the oil companies don't really want to be in the credit business. Therefore the cards are harder to get.

9. Shell

Shell Guest

Marie

Curiosity has gotten the best of me. Would you mind telling what your score was?? If not that is fine I am just curious of your credit file post BK and how you scored??

10. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Curiouser

That's interesting. I was wondering about the no reporting but that's what I was told by a supervisor. So much for knowledge flowing up.

11. mvfl

mvfl Guest

Re: Curiouser

I have a Texaco card since 5/00. It has never been on my credit report. I pulled my 3 reports a few weeks ago and it is not on there. I do carry a small balance and use it monthly but it still doesn't report. I will call them to inquire.

12. mvfl

mvfl Guest

Called Texaco...

Ok, I just got off the phone with a rep at Texaco Card Center. I called the number on the back of my card -
    800-839-2267 and pushed the button to speak to a rep. (My card is issued by ANB)

Anyway, the rep told me they WILL report your account but they need the request in writing. She gave me the address to send it to, so all you have to do is write them and say you would like them to report your account to the CRA's. Here's the address:

Texaco Correspondence
    PO Box 790001
    Houston, TX 77279-0001

I'm not sure if ANB will do this for all gas cards, maybe it's just something Texaco has requested. Anyway, I'm going to write and request it so I'll post here if it shows up on my report.

13. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Shell

632. Not bad for only 25 months post bk7... in another year it'll soar! I'll be prime in 2 years.