ANNUAL FEE

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by GS, Mar 22, 2000.

1. GS

GS Guest

If you close your card account before the
    annual due date, can a bank still charge
    you annual fees until the account is paid in full. CCB is doing this to my wife even though she cancelled her card.

2. Indnewssrv

Indnewssrv Guest

I always thought that once you close an account before the renewal that its considered closed. CCB has a very bad rep for doing this to people. You will see numerous post about them. Keep fighting them to close the account..its their way of getting money out of you and if you dont pay the annual fee they will put it on your credit report of being delinquent. But you may want to look into a lawyer just in case this gets worse..and there's a 90% chance it will with CCb.

Cynthia

3. Len

Len Guest

RE: ANNUAL FEE - Cross Country

Cross Country not only ends up with annual fee on the "closed" account, they charge late fees on that amount until paid. Closing my account with Cross Country cost me the annual fee (which came due three months after I had paid the account in full and closed it), and three late charges (it took me three more months to close it for sure). Total time from payoff to closing: six months. Total additional unjustified fees paid to finally get free: $169 with interest.
    Think about that, folks, when Cross Country is recommended here. If you have plenty of time and money, enjoy being cheated, and thrive on humiliation, get a Cross Country Card as soon as possible and let the nightmare begin!

4. Meredith

Meredith Guest

They are charging my mother the annual fee because she has a balance even though the account is supposedly closed.

5. BOB

BOB Guest

Just there way of saying thanks for doing business with Crooks Country Bank, if we
    can help you just give us a call, we are
    here to screw you 24 hours a day, 7 days
    a week. Have a good day. Sorry there screwing you Mom over but that's CCB and
    all there emplyees. When they hire on they
    have to go to Screwing School, when the
    school is over and if they still have a conscience they are told that there not
    CCB material.

6. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

Actually if they don't make it through CCB training, and fail 'Rude and Nasty Customer Service' by a point or two they get sent to the CRAs to work as customer service reps.

7. DW

DW Guest

As long as you have a balance, they can assess fees...

8. Meredith

Meredith Guest

I just spoke with her about her accounts being closed they would not close her accounts because she has a balance. Thus not wanting to lock in the current customer agreement.
    I had/have 2 accounts with them. One had a small credit balance and the other has a 90 dollar balance. I got a next card with a 2k limit and no annual fee and a 9.9% interest rate, which is not bad for a college student. So I did a balance transfer of 125 dollars, and they closed my account with a balance and not hers. My balance transfer has not gotten to cross country yet. But as stated farther up the board I am requesting a refund of the credit balance and sending a lil extra just incase.

I wonder if they wouldn't close her accounts and lock in the current cust agreement because of her combined 5k balance of cash advances. Everyone of my employees seems to think that this sounds fishy.

9. mba

mba Well-Known Member

I have not dealt with this bank. However, it should be understood that only a judge and the legal process, when initiated, can determine whether the practices of a bank are okay. I am involved in litigation of this issue; however the bank is not this one.

10. BOB

BOB Guest

MBA trust me you don't want to deal with
    this bunch of crooks. Just ask anyone there
    the worst excuse for a bank you ever heard of.

11. portercm

portercm Guest

Hi,

Let me ask you guys something...if you close or cancel a credit card (any credit card to be exact) can they still charge finance fees even though you are trying to pay them off? I have 4 credit cards that I have closed/cancelled and I still get charged finance fees even though I couldn't charge on them even if I wanted to. Thanks for the info in advance. :)

12. ronnie ber

ronnie ber Guest

send me some info on this i just got mine

13. Don

Don Well-Known Member

As long as she has a balance, you really don't have a negotiating point...especially since the terms of agreement state that carrying a balance indicates your agreement to keep your account opne.

One bit of advice as far as closing your account. Send them enough to make sure that you have a balance for a full month, as they played this game of refunding our credit balance, but we had interest on a small balance for a couple days, so they now show something like 6 bucks owed. I just sent another cushion, and we start all over again.

Realize of course, in cases like this, you send a letter to CCB telling them that you wanted your account closed and brought to zero balance, and copy FDIC, DE State Bank Commission, etc...

14. Don

Don Well-Known Member

If you have a balance, you pay interest...otherwise you'd be able to open a card, charge to the limit, and pay it off with no interest being paid...

Great idea, but...

15. Mrs. Banke

Mrs. Banke Guest

Yes.
    While I feel for your wife, you must write to the bank of whom is holding your account. I presume from your statement it is CCB. Your account must be paid in full before you can cancel your account, and then you must handwrite a letter stating you wish to have your account closed.Not including mailing time, the bank legally has 30 days to process this request. Inform the bank in your letter that you are sending this letter for the following purpose:Stop account immediately,& purpose. Inform them in the letter that you are sending this letter as well in copy to the bureou dept. Do this. Your letter to them should be original form, take copies before you mail it and Make sure that the date on top is very clear. Should you receive information after all this, mail there future mailings back to them.
    Go to your own bank, put stop payments on any contracts you have for pre-withdrawel from the company. It is your money, and your credit.

16. J&C

J&C Guest

Hello all,
    Ok so we paid this account in full then sent a letter with more money and the card cut in half saying Close This Account. And then they charged us the annual fee. How do we resolve this. And have any of you gone to a Lawyer and what kind of Lawyer do you go to for something like this? We need your help if anyone has exact information on how we can take care of this please reply or email. Thanx for the help.

17. mba

mba Well-Known Member

What bank did this to you?

18. mba

mba Well-Known Member

Go down 12 TOPICS in this message board to ANNUAL FEES or MEMBERSHIP FEES and click on my posting for an answer to your question. MBA