Annual Income

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by My2kGT, Jul 7, 2001.

1. My2kGT

My2kGT Well-Known Member

What are you supposed to put down for CC applications for "household income" when I live with my Dad who makes 150K+ a year, and I don't make even a 1/3 of it... Do I put what I make, or what "household income" would be which is closer to 200K yr?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    My2kgt

2. bbauer

bbauer Banned

What they are asking for is what you and your spouse make per year.

In your case, it is what you make per year unless you are married.

3. sam

sam Well-Known Member

I asked citibank this question. The rep stated "It is the combination of all adults living in the household".

Put the income down, they are family, you are all one household, it is 100% legal.

If they ask for Your Salary, that would be different. But since they ask for household, totally fair to place all adults salary (yours,mom,dad,wife) whatever your household is like.

I drilled the citi rep about this question repeatedly.

4. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Then it's their mistake, so take advantage of it

5. My2kGT

My2kGT Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information, I was going to use this with citibank, on my next application I will ask the rep when I call to apply.

My2kgt

6. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Keep in mind, the bank always reserves the right to request "additional financial information" at any time - if your income is $200k/yr and your credit report only shows a few cards with low limits and an age of 24, they might be a little more inclined to ask for it.

Diners (part of Citi) once asked for income verif. (paystub copy was OK for them)... BankBoston did too (for an unsecured credit line).

I agree that "household income" could mean many things - you surely won't be guilty of fraud by including everyone in the household's income.

I'm finding more and more that income doesn't equate to higher credit lines - it's more based on what limits you have already, credit score, age of credit.

-mj

7. steve

steve Well-Known Member

I'm currently a grad student and work part time so I don't make a lot of money. Whenever I apply for a new card and they ask me this question I tell them the annual household income, not just my income because it is so low. When they specifically ask what I'm doing I tell them that I'm a student. I've done this for the last two years and these are the cards I currently have:

AMEX Optima Platinum
    AMEX Blue
    Citibank Platinum Select
    Chase Platinum
    Discover Platinum
    MBNA Quantum

along with Household Gold and the old Providian card. My card issuers have never asked me to provide proof of income so I think they mainly look at payment history over annual income.

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

HOUSEHOLD INCOME IS THE TOTAL OF ALL PEOPLE LIVING IN THE SAME HOUSE!!!

IF YOU LIVE WITH MOM AND DAD AND THEY MAKE $100,000...YOU MAKE $35,000...YOUR HOUSEHOLD INCOME IS $135,000!!!

HINT~~~~TAKE IN A COUPLE OF BOARDERS...DOCTORS!!!!

9. My2kGT

My2kGT Well-Known Member

Thanks again guys, I will start using total household income when applying. If they ask for verification I will send my dad's tax return and mine..it will add up to that...he he

My2kgt