Another Providian scam

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by romanduv, Sep 24, 2001.

1. romanduv

romanduv Well-Known Member

Providian sent my wife a preaproved offer for a gold card (guess they got tired of sending ME their offers every two weeks). The word "preaproved" is laced all over they're letter, they even say they don't need a credit check.

Here's the catch, she doesn't have a SSN! And they want a 29.95 "processing fee" (non-refundable).

I have no idea how they got her info, probably a magazine subscription, or an aplication for a target guest card (they give her free gifts every time she applies..)

Usual providian terms: no grace, apr 23.9.

BTW it clearly states that it will cost $9.95 for online payments.

-Roman

2. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

If she doesn't have a SSN, how does she apply for Target?

3. romanduv

romanduv Well-Known Member

At the store itself. The nice lady there gives her pens, calculators & alarm clocks, just for giving her name and address. They say it doesn't matter that she doesn't have an SSN, "just cross it off".

There's no way they will ever approve her, but it appears there is such a thing as a free lunch :)

-Roman

4. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Why bother even filling out an application if they are going to just cross off the SSN part?? They might as well just give her the stuff and skip over the formality of filling out an application. A *free lunch* is a free lunch though....