Any Advice?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by lucy, Mar 19, 2001.

1. lucy

lucy Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with Cross Country Bank? My husband got their CC last month, then I discovered all the bad stuff on the Internet about them. In the meanwhile I have lost my job and we cannot afford to pay it off now. What do you suggest I do to make sure they don't pull the "holding of payments" trick on us? Send the payments certified return receipt or what? After all I've read there's no way in hell they are getting my checking account number. I got 2 cards one from Cross Country and one from First Premier. We had lots of charge offs back in 1996-1999, and I wanted to rebuild our credit to get a better credit card. We have paid off a $10,000 car loan, and have a new car loan with GMAC that is one year old and never late. I am so scared now that Cross Country Bank will ruin the his credit again and we will be back to square one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

2. AnnMarie

AnnMarie Well-Known Member

I think you've answered your own question :)
    Do everything you can to insure they get the payment on time and there's proof. (send it in ASAP, track your payments)
    Don't use it anymore and pay it off as soon as you can. When you request they close it, use the same tactics.
    Good luck.
    Oh and don't be scared, be aware :)
    AnnMarie

3. lucy

lucy Well-Known Member

I'm not going to use it anymore. We got an offer from Orchard Bank for a $300 credit limit if we send in $49.00. I am going to do that. Unfortunately though, about Cross Country, I have read that even when people sent their payments certified return receipt requested they refused to accept it as proof and still charged late fees. We are so worried it is ridiculous. Why should one have to worry that a payment will be posted. I plan to send it in 16 days in advance, but my concern is making me sick.

4. renee

renee Guest

If they are refusing to acknowledge your return receipt with the date it was received on it contact your local postal inspection service. That document is legally binding proof of delivery. They can be in big trouble if they are trying to circumvent the proof of delivery.

5. lucy

lucy Well-Known Member

Oh, I haven't paid the first payment yet. I understand other people have said that. I plan on taking every step possible to ensure they don't screw me. I can't see how they have done this to other people...

6. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Lucy,
    You can pay it online, I think. I don't have their card, but I looked on their website, and unless it is in beat, they have online payments.

7. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

beat=beta

oooooooooops!

8. lucy

lucy Well-Known Member

No thanks. I have read numerous stories of them stealing money out of people's bank accounts without authorization. I intend to send them a money order, certified, return receipt requested. They take out of people's bank accounts more than authorized. I am not about to have checks bouncing all over the place. I live from paycheck to paycheck and if they take extra my bank will return the checks and charge me $30.00 for each occurance.

9. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Re: Any Advice?
    Author: Lucy (---.tampabay.rr.com)
    Date: 03-19-01 06:52

I'm not going to use it anymore. We got an offer from Orchard Bank for a $300 credit limit if we send in $49.00. I am going to do that. Unfortunately though, about Cross Country, I have read that even when people sent their payments certified return receipt requested they refused to accept it as proof and still charged late fees. We are so worried it is ridiculous. Why should one have to worry that a payment will be posted. I plan to send it in 16 days in advance, but my concern is making me sick.

Reply To Message ==Why should one have to worry about when a payment will be posted. Mainly because consumer law gives the creditor the right to say when a payment is maid and and posted ;so date paid can be what ever they say it is:
    There are actually 3 different dates involved with a payment:

10. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Re: Any Advice?
    Author: Lucy (---.tampabay.rr.com)
    Date: 03-19-01 10:02

No thanks. I have read numerous stories of them stealing money out of people's bank accounts without authorization. I intend to send them a money order, certified, return receipt requested. They take out of people's bank accounts more than authorized. I am not about to have checks bouncing all over the place. I live from paycheck to paycheck and if they take extra my bank will return the checks and charge me $30.00 for each occurance.
    ===========================================
    my bank will return the checks and charge me $30.00 for each occurance.=so will cross country bank
    cheeck fees are just another legial ripoff too!

11. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Lucy, I really don't think you should worry so much it makes you sick. I had an account with Cross Country Bank for approx. 3 years. I never had a problem with my payments posting late. I would recommend sending your payment at least 10 days before it is due and write your account number on your check. Always call several business days after you mail your payment to see if it has been credited to your account. Continue to call or check your account on the web until it is posted. NEVER assume that since you mailed a payment it will be posted on time. Lost mail or damaged mail (by postal machines) does occur (A family member works for the post office). You will be ok! However, don't stay with Cross Country too long. Their fees are high and customer service in not empowered to handle any crediting issues even when it is their fault. You always have to write a letter. Good luck to you! :)

12. bj

bj Guest

What about making multiple payments each month? That way at least one would get there!
    You could also call in to ask when your billing cycle date. Mail out the payment on that date. That allows 25 days (or however many is in the cycle) for the payment to post. Miles is correct - be sure to allow 10-14 days and write your account number on the check.