Any good cellular companies?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Dani, Jun 19, 2001.

1. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Cell One, now Cingular has raised our cell bill beginning August 1. They want us to sign a new 24 month deal which I don't want. I don't like being contracted into something for longer than 6 months, possibly 12 months at the longest. Does anyone have any good deals going? Nextel, AT&T, Verizon Wireless, etc. Would appreicate any input. Thanks.

Dani

PS Do they all pull your credit report these days?

2. river

river Well-Known Member

Try Sprint PCS.

3. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Sprint pulled Equifax on me with my permission. No deposit required in my case.

No contract was required when I signed up in 2000.

However, choose your phone carefully. I have heard reports that some of the phones they sell have limited range outside your own area code.

4. eviljeeba

eviljeeba Well-Known Member

Sprint PCS sucks! The calls are clear, I will give them that, but ALL Sprint PCS users will agree when I say that the calls ALWAYS drops!

I have AT&T and I'm not really thrilled with them. Try looking into Verizon, Pac Bell PCS and maybe even Nextel.

Becareful with the contracts though!

5. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I appreicate them. Hubby and I have one minor difficulty - we're in the country (very country) and not everyone has towers out here yet. I believe Sprint does so I will check with them and Verizon.

Dani

6. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

If you are in the country, avoid Sprint.

7. Fat Jake

Fat Jake Well-Known Member

I use Sprint. They are fair. People who live in Big Metro Area's that travel to other Big Metro Area's should consider them. They use CDMA digital technology and most phones have the ability to roam on Analog networks also. As someone else wrote if you live in the country then avoid them. If you live in the country or on the outskirts of a city you should check out the local cell ompanies. Checkout the one that has been there the longest. They usually have more towers in the right place than everyone else. When I do go into the country with my Sprint phone the analog signal is so weak it's virtually useless. Then you get bit by the roaming charges.
    When I'm on the interstate this phone shines because there is virtually no roaming. Even if you have a local call plan.. the area you are visiting is your local calling area. So if I go to say NYC and stop in Baltimore, while in Baltimore, Baltimore is my local calling area and while in NYC it is the local calling area. On a Long Distance Plan all calls are the same anyway.
    The phones are expensive but there feature packed. Checkout the Sanyo 4500 if you do deciede to go with sprint. I couldn't believe that I'd love a SANYO product!!!

8. no1healey

no1healey Well-Known Member

I truck in rural area's.Check with local truckers in your area for best service.At&T has been best overall.Very remote area UScell "bagphones" are coming back out.Wilson cell booster really improves sevice with outside antena.Check out customer service..India AINT nice!

9. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

At least in this area, Verizon has great coverage. The only problem is that to get a decent plan you'll sign a 2-year contract. I've had my phone with them for about 12 years with no problems. They have a "new every two" where you can get a new phone every two years as long as you renew your contract for two more years.