Any unsecured card with NO SSN

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Eduardo, Jul 8, 2000.

1. Eduardo

Eduardo Guest

I am a foreigner with an US address but I NO SSN.

Any Bank offering cards to people like me?

Thanks

2. Jon

Jon Guest

RE: Any unsecured card with NO

Nope : (

3. Alex - Cre

Alex - Cre Guest

Sorry, I'm afraid that's not legally possible, One of many reasons is that in order for any creditor to grant you an unsecured credit line they have to check your credit history, this requires a SSN.

A.F.

-----------------
    Free Credit Repair Information.
    http://www.Creditinsiders.com

4. Tony

Tony Guest

Sorry buddy! No bank would offer you such thing. They wont be able to collect back incase you max your card and decides to go back to your country and never come back. They need you to have this number so they could track you anywhere in the U.S or when you come back if you leave.

5. Micheal

Micheal Guest

YES YOU CAN!

Jon, Alex and Tony don't give advice without knowing what your saying.

First off there is a bank in Seatle AEA which will do a card without a SS# but the fees are very high $250.00 plus 150% of credit line secured.

California Commercial Bank in L.A. ( part of Banco Nacional de Mexico "Banamex") say they will also with a reasonable fee (Under $50.00).

But the best way is to go to the IRS's web site and download a application for a Taxpayer I.D. Number (ITIN) the irs will send you what is in fact a non working/benefit SS# which is the same format as a social but starts with 9.

Citibank, B of A, Amex Centurian, Chase, Banco Popular, and United National ALL Acept the ITIN. Bof A, and Citibank do require 6 months banking with a U.S. bank, (B of A with B of A)

So here's 8 banks to choose from!

6. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

Thats quite an impressive list.

I was aware of AEA (they do advertise it on this site after all) but considering it does not report to the credit agencies relegates it to 'just another offshore card' as far as I'm concerned.

There have been several posts from yourself previously about this same issue, but it appears most here cannot get beyond equating a Tax I.D. Number with file segregation so would never consider it.

I'm glad to see you have expanded your list.

7. Jun R

Jun R Guest

Michael,

Can you apply for the Tax ID No. online? Also, I am a first-time applicant for a CC. What does APR mean? What is the significance of a higher/lower APR among different cards?

Thanks.

8. Michael

Michael Guest

APR stands for Annual Percentage Rate (what you are charged if you carry a ballance on a card).

Generally the lower the APR the higher the criteria is to get the card. If you look at all secured cards they all have a 18-28% APR

Department Store cards go from 18-28% also!
    Wachovia Bank has a 9-10% card and is very dificult to qualify for!

Regarding the ITIN you can print out the form, but you must mail it with NOTARIZED (only U.S. Notary is acceptable) COPIES of Birth Certificate, and Driv. Lic. or Passport.

9. Jun R

Jun R Guest

Michael, thanks for the prompt and helpful response.