Anyone dealt with NCO Financial?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Cyprigirl, May 31, 2001.

1. Cyprigirl

Cyprigirl Well-Known Member

Has anyone dealt with NCO CA? I am dealing with them now and I called them and offered a chance to settle the matter in exchange for a deletion from my credit file. A representative said that would be no problem and I requested this in writing. She sent me a faxed me a letter and then I called back and the supervisor reneged on the agreement.

IS THIS A FDCPA VIOLATION?

Please let me know if you have had any success with NCO or what is their reputation?

Thanks!

Cyprigirl :)

2. fingrrrl

fingrrrl Well-Known Member

If I were you, I would deal directly with the creditor and not the credit agency. I had an AMEX charge-off that was sent to NCO for collection. I tried to negotiate with NCO without any luck but then decided, upon the advice of another, to deal with AMEX. I did so and the charge-off is now history. My advice, negotiate with the creditor; they have the ultimate power in removing a delinquency from your report. Good luck!

3. Cyprigirl

Thanks!

I will definitely do that, although I still think they have violated the FDCPA and I have the letter to prove that they used deceptive practices to collect this debt.

But I will contact the original creditor.

Regards,

Cyprigirl:)

4. tom65432

tom65432 Well-Known Member

They are evil.

In December, I reached an agreement with them to settle a debt with an agreement that nothing negative would appear on my credit report. They agreed.

They then reported it as a loan that defaulted and also 90 days late. They never reported it as paid.

When I contacted them, they basically said we have your money - drop dead.

I went to the original creditor and got them to write me a letter saying that no negative references should appear on my CRA's. Eventually all three CRA's deleted the negative references. It took over four months.

But, I just got denied credit based on overdue accounts/bad debts. These can only be the same loan. So I assume that they reinserted the items. I am attempting to get my Equifax report (that's a whole other story).

Of interest, they claim they are part of Wells Fargo Bank. Did they tell you that?

Do not deal with these people.

5. Cyprigirl

Thanks for the comment!

I will definitely take the advice and go around them.

Thank you!

Cyprigirl:)

6. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

They suck s**t....!!!

Words of Wisdom... Don't call them or any CA ALWAYS write! Once you call you are falling prey to their silly-lying game they play. They are well known for adding your phone number to your credit report. They are notorious this..!! Then collectors will come from out of the wood work. As we all... know CA feel they can't collect if they don't call..!!!

Good luck to you

MartysGirl

7. Cyprigirl

Point well-taken, I am not going to deal with them anymore.

Thanks!

8. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

I dealt with them regarding 3 emergency room medical bills. I waitied until the SOL ran out. In PA the sol is 4 years. In December of 2000, I wrote them a letter demanding validation of the debts. The removed the information from my credit reports. I had 3 collection tradelines from all three bureaus.

NCO is world famous for not keeping accurate records. It sounds chaotic when you call, I received various information from their reps ect. If all else fails. Wait them out.

9. godaddyo

godaddyo Well-Known Member

Chuck out www.budhibbs.com for information on nasty collection agencies. The best way to beat them is to get them to screw up repeatedly.

10. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Yep!

I got NCO so scared they won't even send me a bill or demand for payment or anything else.

My wife has an X.Com deal going with them and all they will do is to call on the phone trying to talk to her. They usually call on Sunday morning, but they missed calling last Sunday. Every time they call I tell them she won't talk to them on the phone and that they will have to send her a letter. They say that they can't do that.

After the whipping I gave them last time I can't say as I blame them for not wanting to take any chances ofletting me get into the fight. Last time was hilarious to say the least, but I doubt they will ever take a chance on getting into another hassle with me.

11. Cyprigirl

Thanks guys!

I really appreciate the information and the budhibbs website is awesome. All the collection agencies I have on my credit file are on his worst list and I am glad for the heads up so I know how to deal with them. In fact, I had a tussle with one today and I am definitely sending the cease communication letter.

Thanks!

12. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Every time they call I tell them she won't talk to them on the phone and
    that they will have to send her a letter. They say that they can't do that.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALWAYS IN WRITING...NEVER BY PHONE.

They can't send a letter, because they will be held liable for anything they say...on the phone they can say you "HEARD IT WRONG"...

13. godaddyo

godaddyo Well-Known Member

By the way, the bud hibbs site is really informative, but unfortunately MR Hibbs view is to only send out cease and desist letters and he also thinks that you should just let them sue you. I like to take a more proactive approach and so do the others here on this board. His premise is walking away from your debts if you cant pay, after all it is better than filing bankruptcy. Maybe he is right in severe cases, but this would hardly make one judgement proof. The creditnet posters are about taking charge of your financial situation,. Good Luck!!

14. bbauer

bbauer Banned

You are preaching to the choir on that one, George.

That's one of the first things I teach my students. Never talk to them on the phone.

The reason is not only the fact that if you talk to them on the phone, they will run you around Robin Hood's bard so hard that you'll wish it would fall in on you, but worse yet, you have no way to go back on them with good repair tactics.

15. bbauer

bbauer Banned

One could get better gossip out of Aunt Mable's quilting party than they could from Bud Hibbs.

Just about nearly if not totally and completely worthless

His list of bad apples is pretty accurate though.

16. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

OK FINE DON'T READ IT...

17. bbauer

bbauer Banned

I already did, several times over.

At first, I thought he really did have some interesting stuff, but when you really get down to studying what he has to say, reality begins to set in.

18. Cyprigirl

I think his list is very accurate because my personal experiences with the ones on his list have been very difficult.

Anyway I am going to read up on some case law as well as the statutory laws and really assess my rights. I know they have already violated some laws from dealing with them. I want to pay the debts owed but when they fail to negotiate and want to play hardball. I am left with no choice but to seek legal alternatives. From my discussions with these people they don't care if they violate the laws, because too few consumers actually take recourse to set these people straight. I agree a proactive role is the key, too many people give up and they know that so they continue to be A*#1@*

My 2 cents!

19. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Absolutely! Way to go!

You don't really need to worry all that much about the law itself in general although it does help in some situations.
    The specific ones you need to know very well is the FCRA and the FDCPA.

Those are available right here on the net as yoo know very well. I recommend you print them out in their entirety. Be aware that the FTC website does not carry the full and complete text of the law. Other websites do, and they are pretty easy to find. The FTC website is more than enough for starters. They also have other interesting and useful topics on the website too_Opinions, rulings and other things. You don't need to print out all that. Just the law itself.

It's a lot easier to understand in print than it is on screen.

You can get along pretty well with just that. Where the going gets a lot tougher is when it comes to crafting effective letters and strategies needed to go out and trap them into doing something wrong and then being able to do something about it without ever having to go to court. You really don't want to ever have to do that if you don't have to. Those are the things that I teach people how to do.

You should do just fine. Use your head and try to think each situation through. Always ask yourself one question repeatedly. "DOES THIS MAKE SENSE???" If it don't, don't "buy" into it, not from collection agencies, credit bureaus, creditors nor anybody else. If it don't make good common sense, don't do it.

20. Cyprigirl

Thanks Bill.

I am going to read it thoroughly and take action from there. What do you think about Findlaw.com?

I will look into the caselaw as well because it helps strengthen my position regarding violations and as to how the courts will handle the case and it will give the CA or CRA something to really think about should they to fail act accordingly.

I am just amazed that all the people I have encountered at various CA are just nasty people. I guess they have never heard of the phrase "Kill them with kindness".

Oh well, I guess that is why they work at these places because normal workplaces did not want them.

Again My 2 cents!