Approved for Plat. Select From Citi

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by PSUgirl, May 18, 2001.

1. PSUgirl

PSUgirl Guest

Ive had a great day all around today:

-A'ced my management exam.
    -Took the day off of work!
    -Started my internship at MBNA
    -cleaned my room
    -washed my car
    -mailed my bills
    -mailed my dispute letters out to the CRA's
    ~~best part, just found out from citibank that I was appoved for the Citibank platinum select mastercard for 2500.00 limit.
    ~~i also found out that i am getting the student drivers edge mastercard from citibank for 900.00 limit when i send in verification of a paid tuition bill!

IM SO SET NOW!
    Now more credit for me, actually, Im going to get them to reconsider me for the click mastercard...

Now i have:
    Providian 200.00 limit
    capital one 2400.00 limit
    gm card 1500.00 limit
    household card 1500.00 limit
    citibank driversedge 900 limit
    citibank platinum 2500.00 limit
    spiegel charge 400.00 limit
    friedmans jewlers charge 500.00 limit

Im on a hold now till the end of summer. I want to get a new SUV with 5000 down! Wish me luck!

Around December I going to combine my household and gmcard limits onto my gmcard.

Psugirl

2. MikeB

MikeB Banned

BAH! Citi said I couldn't upgrade from AA to the Platinum Select. I guess my 650 wasn't good enough. Boo Hoo.

Anyway, congrats.

3. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

MikeB,

If were you, I wouldn't give up on upgrading to the Citi Plat card just yet.

A couple months back, encouraged by Sam as well as others on this board, I called to upgrade my AA gold to plat select. The first time I called the rep said no but I called a second time to speak with a different rep. This time, the answer was yes and my Plat Select card arrived in the mail a week later. So you might want to call Citi and ask again. Just say that you had a couple friends who got the upgrade and you'd like the same deal. It's worth a shot.

Donna

4. MikeB

MikeB Banned

Thanks Donna, I just recently got the card. I will make payments for awhile and call back in a few months and ask again.

Thanks

5. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

PSUgirl,

That is terrific.

P.S. If I could only get my daughter to clean her room... LOL

6. PSUgirl

PSUgirl Guest

When i was on the phone with a rep from the applications department. She told me that if I wanted to change the platinum select card to a AA card I could do it with no problem, but there would be an annual fee on the AA card.

I said no way, Im outta subprime town and going to prime city....not in those exact words.

Im sight about what i have accomplished in just a few months.

I feel much better about myself because I learned about credit and used what I learned to get what i have!

In another year and a half (school time) ill be in a career with the best bank around and rolling in the dow and higher credit lines will come and better offeres.

I should pat myself on the back and slap my ass for what I accomplished.

My all time goal from now until next summer is to GET AMEX! -im praying :)
    ~PSUGirl~

7. PSUgirl

PSUgirl Guest

Forgot to mension that the best bank around is MBNA AMERICA BANK!

~Psugirl~

8. roni

roni Well-Known Member

LIsten MikeB,
    I remember back in Sept when most of us were upgraded that some customer reps were difficult. The problem was the terminology. You maybe couldnt upgrade but transfer the account. I would call again and see if you can get your point across. I had a much lower score than 650 when I got the card and transfered it to a plat select.

Good Luck!

FYI: I took some people off ignore b/c I realized that I was missing so much of the board. But If I have a need to select ignore again, I will...no harm done right.

9. Squawk1200

Squawk1200 Well-Known Member

LOL! I've gotta admit I have a soft spot for MBNA but I'm a little mad at them right now (just dashed off a letter to CEO Cawley) so your post made me laugh.

10. PSUgirl

PSUgirl Guest

Why are you mad at MBNA?

11. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Congratulations PSUgirl. You've accomplished a lot. Job well done!! :)

12. CardKid

CardKid Well-Known Member

Started my internship at MBNA

PSU Girl,

I worked at MBNA as a Senior Analyst at their Deerfield location in Delaware (5 1/2 years). MBNA offers great benefits, a fitness center, gourmet dining (on the campus), country club casual Fridays (depending on your division), and the coolest team of people to work with.

Although I got my start there, it's been one hell of a springboard to my six figure income (125k).

Best of luck!

CardKid

13. PSUgirl

PSUgirl Guest

Thank you,

Card kid, your right....mbna does have some great benifits. They love giving away money, and I love taking it. Ive worked for them for almost a year in august.

Im excited about moving up in the company.

Psugirl

14. Squawk1200

Squawk1200 Well-Known Member

Re: My MBNA Story

My ex-wife and I split up in '96. Eventually, we agreed that she would make payments on certain accounts from mid-97 to mid-99, when I would graduate and take them all over. Because of some trust issues, though, I was still haveing the statements sent to me.

In mid-98, she somehow got MBNA to change the address on my statements to hers. Then she stopped paying. Some months down the line, I noticed I hadn;t received an MBNA statement for a while and called them up. The account was already 120 days past due!!

I immediately called and spoke with an understaing rep, and told her I'd pay $200 immediately and the rest (like $600 or so) in two weeks. She helped by removing all of the late charges from the account, because she said that no one should have been able to change the address except me.

Since then I've never been late. I actually paid the account off totally, and at one point they were nice enough to reopen it. Hence my soft spot.

This year, I found that all of those delinquencies were on my credit report. I disputed with the CRA's, they verified. I then wrote to them, explaining all of the above and asking that they be removed.

In response, I got a letter including printouts of my statements for the last FOUR years, noting not only the '98 delinquencies, but also a 30-day and a 60-day each in 1996 and 1997 from when the ex and I were fighting things out.

What gets me mad is that their letter doesn't address my request at all -- it doesn't even mention it. It just says -- your account was late these times, so we will report these times. I'd be dissapointed if they turned me down, but, in truth, the account was late so they have the upper hand here. But I'd at least like them to acknowledge what I wrote about -- ONLY the 1998 delinquencies, and NOT that they didn't happen, but that in fairness they shouldn't be reported -- and turn me down on the merits rather than ignore it.

(Sorry so long, but you asked ;))

15. PSUgirl

PSUgirl Guest

Hi,

OK....I can honestly say that I DONT understand why you would hold a gruge against a company like MBNA after reading your story.

First, You signed up for the credit card, and you put your wife as an AUTHORIZED USER on your card. Authorized user-means able to use your credit card with your authorization but NOT obligated to pay for your bill. So in turn, you are the account holder on that card. You are the onlyone that is obligated to pay. MBNA DOESNT have such things as joint accounts, they only offer authorized users. In fact, you can add up to 5 for FREE!

Second, you chose to CHANGE THE ADDRESS on your billing. That only made mbna think that you oved. but your didnt mention changing the name on the account. MBNA would never allow you to transfer your liabliities over to your wife, and make her the NEW account holder and you the authorize user. Thats actually considered "FALSIFIYING BANK DOCUMENTS" at mbna if a representative changed the name on the account (first and last) to someone completly different. A manager knows because they account will automaticlly kick into a listing that notifiys management that they account name has been changed, and if its not just a change of last name OR first, a manger would acctually do an investigation,

Third, when you said that you found out that the account was past due, you called and a rep helped you out by REMOVING THE FEES. MBNA, like any other bank, charge you fees to MAKE A PROFIT. When they are removed, THEY ARE THE ONES THAT IS LOOSING MONEY. Honestly, they didnt have to remove the fees.

Fourth, You said even after the account was 120 days past, you eventually got them to reopen the account. NOT A LOT OF BANKS WOULD DO THAT! storys or not.

fith, you that they reported the lates on your credit. Well, CREDIT DOENST HAVE TWO NAMES. Like I said before, you are the onlyone obligatied to pay the debt, not your wife....she is just an authorized user

Six, You said that you disputed the lates and they wouldnt get removed....the account was late, you where the account holder, thats what they do....report lates. You have to just keep disputing untill you get some luck and they get deleted....like i did. You cant blame a company for doing their job.

Seventh, in turn.....you gave something (mbna reporting negatively) to get something in return (charges removed, reopened account)

Thanks

psugirl

16. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Since you work there, why don't you give him some suggestions or help as opposed to criticising him? Don't you expect to be helped when you have questions? I don't think you'd be too happy if you got an answer like that.

17. PSUgirl

PSUgirl Guest

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? ~never mind, you need not reply its not important anyway.

for your info:

He never asked me a question, I asked him a question and he told me a story. I told him how MBNA works and why his situation happened the way it did.

There was never any thought of criticising him. Your just trying to make something out of nothing.

I main goal was to explain why things happend the way it happened, and to hopefully help him be at ease about it in his mind. When you get MBNA. you dont just get a credit card, you get a quality product that is unique. He was lucky that things turned out the way they did.

So, please stop trying to cause trouble for no reason. Somethings are better left untyped. I was being honest with him, not criticising him!

And, Squawk1200.... The lates that are reported on your credit file are not perminate. I got my lates removed. My mbna use to report 2-30day, 3-60days, 7-90+ days, 120 days in 11/99 (very negative)

If you want a copy of the letter that I sent to mbna, email me at cheerpsugirl@hotmail.com

It really worked. I got a call from a women in the executive offices. I explained my story. because ive kept my account in excellent standing since 1999. She deleted all my lates and changed my "closed by grantor" to "closed by consumer"

She also sent me a letter stating something like "at your request closed your account" ....it was already closed, but just to give me proof.

She also sent me a letter, Friday, stating something like, "we have asked the 3 CRA to change your status to "closed by consumer" this change should be reflected in 5 business days" more proof.

It took sometime, but you can get it done.

Psugirl

p.s. never read too much into words, take it for what its worth!

18. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

I wasn't trying to make something out of nothing. I was just pointing out that if your reply was being read by someone other than the author, it may come across as being critical of him. Not trying to start anything. I also was saying that since you work there and you have had success dealing with them that you could have given some pointers.

19. PSUgirl

PSUgirl Guest

My life is great!

20. Marypc

Marypc Well-Known Member

Squawk and PSU girl...

Squawk,
    I had the exact same thing happen to me (in that I wrote a letter to MBNA explaining my situation.) they sent me the same type of response you got, so I sent another letter saying that I could understand if they couldnt grant my favor, but they didnt have to send such a harsh letter. I got a phone call back from a very nice rep who told me that they get letters like yours and mine all the time, and they are "top sheeted" with a form and sent to a research department that handles them just like disputes, si I guess it wasnt anything "personal" :)

PSU Girl, I took your advice and I wrote to the CEO via Panet Feedback, and was told there was nothing they could do. While I am thrilled for your success, I am beginning to think that your scenario is very unusual. I wonder if your working for MBNA has anything to do with it? I am aware of 2 other people who are in the same boat (account very delinquent due to an illness for one, and death of a spouse foir the other) and they got the same response I did.

I think you were very lucky there, the strategy unfortunately doesnt work for most of us.