Arbitration Required?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by marci, Apr 24, 2001.

1. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I have a question, directed primarily to those who are familiar with the legalese in consumer contracts, but open to anyone who has some knowledge.

I received a "opt-out" choice from Providian recently allowing me to opt-out of their new Arbitration program. Since there is no obvious detriment to my account if I reject the arbitration clause, I will refuse it.

My question: this whole issue got me thinking about my car loan with Wells Fargo Financial. When I refinanced my car I signed the arbitration agreement even though I disagreed with it, b/c I didn't know the law and I was afraid they'd break off the refinance if I didn't. I really wanted this car refinanced.

Soon I will have the chance to refinance with Wells Fargo Financial again and draw up a new contract. I do not plan to the arbitration agreement if I don't have to, but will I be required to sign it in order for the company to go through with the contract? Is there any state or federal law that protects my right to enter a lawsuit if I choose without repercussion from the company I wish to do business with?

Thanks for any answers in advance,

Marci