aria card question?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by nicci, Mar 1, 2001.

1. nicci

nicci Guest

i recd the aria card persona brand visa in 01-01 with a 1000.00 limit and a 49.00 fee the int rate is 23.99 is this a bad deal and is the starting cl a good one i have only one other trade line a jc penny 500.00 line from 11-00 does aria give cl increases on a regular basis is it the same program the other providian cards use thnks

2. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

For your first subprime bankcard, that really isn't too bad. You could have done a lot worse with some other banks. As for credit line increases, I personally don't know how Aria differs from Providian in that respect.

3. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Aria is Providian so their line increases will be similar (generous). Since Aria is new, however, they don't have "upgrades" in product line yet (eg: classic to gold to platinum) so once you get the persona you're stuck w/the persona for now. They expect this to change. I actually just got my first persona change. I've had it for 6 weeks, I got the intro rate til next month (yippe)... but then it would go to 23.99. Not. Got retention to lower it to 19.8. Their retention dept is Providian's. Interesting glitch in the system though. When you call Aria they'll switch you to "retention". but the first lady in retention acted like I was a moron talking w/her... seems that Prov has several locations: Texas, Utah, etc and only the Texas center can look up Aria cards (the rest will tell you to call Aria again). Odd system. Anyway, if you want to reach Aria retention just call the Providian retention number and ask for the San Antonio, Tx location: they'll internally transfer you if you initially got a different location. But they just don't seem to have the leeway that Prov. does...yet. They told me it's in process of improving. Better be. I was surprised about getting the stupid "persona". My credit is better than that and I know it.

4. Sally

Sally Guest

marie did you get the 1000.00 credit line to start to?

5. S.D.

S.D. Guest

Not Marie, but

I was approved for the Aria Persona in 12/00. $250 limit, $89 annual fee, $49 processing fee, no grace, 23.99%.
    I'm pretty new to the credit world. My only other card at the time was the Providian Gold, $500 limit in 11/00, one charge off (not mine - trying to have removed) and a paid collections (only on Equifax).

So I don't think you did too bad! =0)

6. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Re: Not Marie, but

i got the same deal as above, but cancelled the card. Waste of my time to even have a card with $250 limit. Don't expect to see an increase for 4-5 months, they told me flat out they dont start issuing paid increases until about 4-5 months and to live with it. i told them to kiss my arse..

Better to have spent that $99 on a cap 1 secured card, at least i'll get that cash back.

7. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Sally

yep, 1000 line, 23.99 to start, no processing fee, 59 annual fee. The day I got the card I called to cancel because I didn't realize I wouldn't be able to access this one online either. Good god. I pay everything online. Everything.

So, the first day I had the card they refunded the 59. Ok, so at least the card is free. And I got the 0% intro rate for 2 months. yippe. So I maxed the card, paid 2x minimums, and paid heavily on my Cap1 cards.

Then yesterday I got the interest rate reduction. I'll get to 16.9 in another month or so. They seem to like to go incrementally on interest rate now. Another billing cycle or 2 and their computer will let me decrease it again. 16.9 is their best "non platinum" rates.

And, of course, I also have to wait a while for that first increase. I've been told they operate like Prov. Makes sense, same computer program controlling our cards.

Anyway, keep at them. I now consider harassing my card companies a p/t hobby :) I'm very nice, and I now have several direct contacts in the companies so I don't have to talk to a "nonfriendly" anymore :)

My only real gripe is that the persona doesn't have a grace, so I only use it if I know I'm holding a balance for a month or 2. You should get an offer for another 1k or so as your first marketing gimmick... I"m guessing. I'll just wait and see what they send me on this one. then I'll call up and get it w/out a fee. I don't pay fees anymore. My credit has improved too much and I know it. anyway, keep us posted. Knowledge is negotiating power :)

8. S.D.

S.D. Guest

Marie

I was told by a supervisor at Aria (the first time I called) that he couldn't do anything about the interest, but to please give them a chance. He also asked if I knew about the $500 or $1000 increase they offer after the first 3 months. I acted surprised and asked if they came with fees and he said, "yes, but we can waive that for you." So straight from the horse's mouth.
    I'll give retention in TX a call about my APR soon.
    Thanks for the great info Marie!

9. FatmanJake

FatmanJake Guest

Re: Marie

Aria is not as generous (generally) as regular providian. Prov Visa has triple in the time I've had the Aria. Aria doubled in 13 months but it was only from 1K to 2K. For now thats sufficiant.