Aria or Providian?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Rain, Apr 1, 2001.

1. Rain

Rain Member

I currently have a 617 FICO score, but only thing on my credit is a Cap 1 secured card, 1 year old.
    I'm wanting to get another active line or two. I'm thinking of getting an Orchard card, and also an Aria or Providian. I don't want more than 3 cards, so since I'm pretty sure about the Orchard, that leaves me picking between the Aria and Providian cards.

Anyone know which one is better? I know they're both issued by Providian bank, but is one card easier to qualify for than the other? Which would I be more likely to get with a 617 FICO? Which gives better limits, better rates, and gives customers less hassles, or are they both the same in these regards since they both issue through the same bank?

Thanks for any advice...
    Rain

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

if you have no negative stuff, you can qualify for a Citibank AA Advantage with that credit.

"Silver AAdvantage Mastercard" not click not World.

good luck.

3. Rain

Rain Member

Nah, I don't want to fool with Citibank's non-reporting of credit limits. I'm already tired of it from Cap One, but I can't close their acct. since it's currently my only active line, and they hold my history in their hands. I'd prefer to go with a lender who reports limits.

Thank you for the response, though. Much appreciated. :)

Rain

4. Saar

Saar Banned

Although Orchard used to be an excellent sub-prime lender, that is no longer the case. Their credit policies are now dictated by their new parent company, Household Bank. Paying a hefty annual fee for a card that has such stingy increase standards is a crime.

If you have a Cap 1 for 1 year, by now you should have received Providian pre-approvals for a $3K-limit card w/ no annual fee. (The pre-approvals start w/ $500-limit w/ a $120 annual fee, then $1K-limit w/ $80 fee, then $3K-limit w/ no fee, then the same but w/ a grace period).

If I had to choose between Providian and Aria, I'd take Providian. 99% of Aria approvals for sub-primers are for the Persona, one of the worst credit deals in the industry.

Saar

5. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Well don't expect orchard or providian to give you a low interest annual fee -free card! My citibank platinum select is 11.9% with no annual fee. They are Prime, whereas you probably won't get a prime providian (platinum) with your short history. Just trying to help.

My gf just got an automatic increase from the citi web site afer being with them for 5 months (not 6!). They also mail her balance transfer options like 6.9% for 6 months. I guess it depends on what you are trying to go after..

6. Saar

Saar Banned

Providian's pre-approvals are for real.

After ~6 months w/ Cap 1 as my only tradeline, Providian upgraded their monthly pre-approvals, this time offering me a $3K-limit card w/ no annual fee.

Saar

7. Saar

Saar Banned

I was building, not re-building. Started on May 2000.

Saar

8. Saar

Saar Banned

lizardking wrote:
    "Was the Cap 1 card secured?"

Yes, though not reported as such.

Saar

9. Michael

Michael Guest

My Recomendations.

If I were you I would do this.

Apply for a Household Bank M/C not the Orchard Bank.
    You should get a CL of at least $1,000.00 I got this with a 7 yr old BK and a 4 month old Aria ($250.00 CL) on my report. Also if you don't get a Gold Card you can geyt one easy after 6 month with them.

I also would do the following after you get approved for this one.

1. Get a Dept. Store Card (increases FICO)
    2. also try B of A (good credit limits) and Amex Blue (should get $2000 at least) in 3-4 months after your new card and Dept. Store Card post!

10. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

Re: My Recomendations.

Rain, Citibank reports limits, except for Experian.

Like you, I only had 1 credit reporting line (Cap One secured) when I got chase classic,
    then some retails cards and 2 Citis. I think you don't need anymore subprime cards like
    Aria. think about!

11. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

Re: My Recomendations.

Try to apply for Eddie Bauder Mastercard issued by FCNB or GMcard and they do report credit limit to credit bureaus.