Aria/Providian and Capitol One

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by G. Weller, May 14, 2000.

1. G. Weller

G. Weller Guest

I have a couple of questions

1. I have the Aria card through Aria/Providian and have had the card since 11/99 with a $250 limit and was told that I would be reviewed for a line increase in about 3 months. Well to my knowledge they have never done this. Also when I call to ask when I will get reviewed they say that they do not have the foggiest. I know someone else in the same situation what can we do? Should we call providian it's self?

The next question I have is I have the Capitol One Gold wih a $200 limit and when I asked about an increase they tell me to wait a year before I can request an increase. Has anyone with really bad credit gotten an increase sooner?

TIA
    Gary & Christy

2. Alex - Cre

Alex - Cre Guest

RE: Aria/Providian and Capitol

Hello Gary & Christy:

I dont know about the Aria Card because I dont have it, but Capital One a few years back when I was in the process of re-building my credit really BAD credit, gave me a $300 unsecured card and the first increase did take about 1 year but after that I believe it's every 6 months or so that they give you an increase, I did close the account once I was able to get a GREAT interest rate elsewhere but I can tell you that the SURE and fastest ways to get credit increases is to make those payments on time and dont go over the limit. :) Good luck!

Alex.

------------------
    Free Credit Repair Information!
    http://www.Creditinsiders.com

3. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

I'll add one more thing. Make large payments when you make them on time. If you can, make at least 10% of the balance.

http://www.creditsense.com

4. Barry N -

Barry N - Guest

My 2 Cents:

Aria is totally "computer based" on its line increase review. But, to my knowledge they are on a 6 month cycle. And for my wife, this has been like clockwork. Last increase was $1000 last month. I would look over the terms and see if you are on the 6 month cycle. Any lates or over limits will kick you out of the cycle.

Capitol One is very slow to increase, and very conservative. I know vistors to our site claim they have a Cap One for many years and never was able to achieve more than $500 limit.

I also agree with Herb. Pay at least 10% of the balance each month. However, do not pay the card off totally each month. If you leave a balance letting the bank make some money, you are being a valuable customer to them. This does help prompt those credit line increases in the future.

Gary and Christy, best of luck and hope this helps.

Peace,

Barry Noret
    CreditMania.com, Inc.
    A Unique Personal Finance Portal
    http://creditmania.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    *About our suggestions:
    We respond to your questions and make
    no claims that our suggestions will fit
    your exact needs. This is for informational
    purposes only and should never be construed
    as legal advice.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5. G. Weller

G. Weller Guest

Thanks for the info! This board is
    great! Thanks Guys! Barry N - CreditMania.com wrote:-------------------------------My 2 Cents:Aria is totally "computer based" on its line increase review. But, to my knowledge they are on a 6 month cycle. And for my wife, this has been like clockwork. Last increase was $1000 last month. I would look over the terms and see if you are on the 6 month cycle. Any lates or over limits will kick you out of the cycle.Capitol One is very slow to increase, and very conservative. I know vistors to our site claim they have a Cap One for many years and never was able to achieve more than $500 limit. I also agree with Herb. Pay at least 10% of the balance each month. However, do not pay the card off totally each month. If you leave a balance letting the bank make some money, you are being a valuable customer to them. This does help prompt those credit line increases in the future.Gary and Christy, best of luck and hope this helps.Peace,Barry NoretCreditMania.com, Inc.A Unique Personal Finance Portalhttp://creditmania.com~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~....

6. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

VERY IMPORTANT: Capital One views exceeding one's credit limit very badly, even if its by a few dollars. FORGET about increaes for about a year if you make this mistake.
    And, yes, they won't even consider you for your increase for a year, even though they claim they automatically review accounts every six months.

Capital One hands out the $200 limit credit card like they are going out of style. They restrict credit increase and charge a whopping $59 anual fee. Bewteen the anual fees, interest, etc., they quickly cover the $200 they extend. Frankly, I think the secured cards are a better deal. Capital One is merely a steping stone to other cards.

Anyway, isn't it true that credit card comanies make a "small" percentage on all transactions? The idea you need to pay the credit card company more money in interest to get a credit increase seems rediculous. If you pay your bill off every month, that should demonstrate your ability to pay higher sums each month. It makes no sense that they see someone making smaller, partial payments as a better credit risk.

It would sure be interesting to hear from someone in the credit card industry for more insight.

7. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Well my husband and I have seperate Aria accounts. I have had mine since last June and he has had his since last Aug. SO far neither was of us has gotten an increase, I always pay early and way more than minimun. So I don't know why I didn't get any increases??

8. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Got my first capitalone.com se

Well in the middle of my third month, i was talking to the capitalone rep, and asked her if my $99/$500 secured card could be increased with more deposit. She said "Well no." , then said " but i can put a request in for a credit increase". Sure..

Next day, my capitalone.com site shows i have a $100 limit increase ($600 total) . whoopie. but the fact remains they did give it to me, and i did have to ask for it, and the csr was very polite. her job is to take the request, not approve or disapprove it. Capitalone has always been krad in my book for customer service, unless some other cards i have. and besides $99 deposit for $500 is unbeaten or even nearly matched no-where i've seen.

werd

(btw i have about $9k in charge off's still on file)