Asked for ID for $2 CC purchase!!!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by DHK, Aug 10, 2003.

1. DHK

DHK Well-Known Member

Just came back from Circle K in Temecula, CA (near I15) where I presented the clerk with my BofA Mini card (no photo). I was wanting to purchase $2 worth of water. She wanted to see my ID - FOR A $2 PURCHASE! I said that the card was signed. She said she wanted my ID.

Believe me, I was LIVID! My wife paid for it with cash, because I left my ID in the car. It was a hot day and I didn't want to carry my wallet with me.

Needless to say, I've sent a letter via PlanetFeedBack regarding this incident and I am DETERMINED TO FIGHT BACK against cashier's who don't know any better than to be my bank's fraud protection agency for minimum wage.

Just ranting!

2. DHK

DHK Well-Known Member

BTW, I have recently asked BofA for a photo mini-card.

Also, I have recently opened a checking account with BofA because of this whole ID issue. Now I'll have a debit card AND credit card with my photo and signature on them. I figure I might as well only use cards with my photo on them so I can get these stupid cashier's to shut up!

I'm still trying to get Wells Fargo to do the same thing and provide the convenience and service for our customers as well.

I guess if you can't beat em... you can still make them shut up.

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I "PERSONALLY" would have left the water and WALKED OT THE DOOR WITH-OUT IT!!!

BUT THAT IS ME...

Not that the cashier would care...BUT THEY WON ANYWAY...because you PAID for it!!!

If you did not PAY...the cashier would have to EXPLAIN ONE MORE VOID!!!

We have a VOID REPORT...we get asked about it if it has TOO MANY VOIDS ON IT (what-ever too many VOIDS are)...just some $$$$$ amount picked out of a hat...

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Next time I fly home to WHITTIER...I will have to come visit you at CIRCLE K and buy you a drink of water...and I'll have a PEPSI...I'll pull out one of my signed cards and we will see what happens!!!

:)

5. DHK

DHK Well-Known Member

GEORGE,

Sounds Good! Email me when you're down here!

BTW, wife is 8 months pregnant. I did it for her, not Circle K. If it was only me, I would NOT have gone through with the transaction and DEMANDED to see the manager.

6. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Asked for ID for $2 CC purchase!!!

Glad to hear it! :)

7. earl5831

earl5831 Active Member

i dont think clerk ment any harm buy asking u to provide id probably doing her job ie policy and procedure

i think those policies are in place to protect the consumer not to inconvience us

just a thought

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Asked for ID for $2 CC purchase!!!

NO ID REQUIRED ON A SIGNED CARD!!!

THAT IS THE POINT!!!

THE SIGNATURE MATCH WITH THE SALES SLIP AND THE CARD IS ALL THE ID NEEDED!!!

9. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Asked for ID for $2 CC purchase!!!

"IF" all card issuers removed the signature strips and then demand ID with every sale...FINE!!!

The card companies advertise..."SIGN AND GO"...NOT "SIGN AND SHOW ID AND GO"

10. faztcobra

faztcobra Well-Known Member

Who cares? I think it's great protection to ask for ID. In fact, on my cards, I always write SEE ID on the signature line. If my cards ever got stolen and were used for fraud purposes before I could shut them down, then I would have some sense of security knowing that "See ID" might prevent me from going through a hassle later on. On the other hand, I see your point...I'd hate to be IDed over $2. What can you do? Pay or leave.

11. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

"CID" IS NOT A VALID SIGNATURE...THE CARD IS VOID WITH-OUT A SIGNATURE

12. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I only check when it is really SLAMMED...but every single day I check...I get some IDIOT that has CID on the credit card and leaves the ID in the car!!!

OK, I'LL WRITE A CHECK...DO YOU HAVE ID IF THE COMPUTER ASKS???

DUHH

13. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

I was with some friend the other day when one of them pulled a credit card out of her wallet (we were comparing the "pictures" on the card. Not our photos, but whatever was on the card, like airplanes or something). Another friend told her it wasn't signed, so she signed it.

The other friend commented that several times he had gotten a new card and put it in his wallet without signing it (just forgot it). When he tried to use it, the clerk told him it wasn't signed. So, he stood there and signed it, then gave it to the clerk. The clerk NEVER ASKED FOR ID. He thought that was strange, since he could have been anyone signing it.

The only reason we could come up with was that if you stole a card, you wouldn't be so willing to sign in front of someone, and also, unless you're really good, you would have signed your own name and not the name on the card, since you wouldn't be able to see it.

GEORGE, do you ask for ID if they sign the card right there?

14. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

GEORGE, do you ask for ID if they sign the card right there?

I have the unsigned card in my hand...NO SIGNATURE...I NEED ID PLEASE...if they want to sign it...FINE, but i still need the ID because it was NOT signed at the time I first had it...

15. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

The ID is to match the signature on the signature slip and the name on the card and the signature on the card...

"IF" somebody stole a MARY J JONES card...they would MEMORIZE the name, wouldn't they...that is why I still ask for ID...

16. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

I think I'd ask for ID as well, and I'd want to be asked for ID. But this person said that on at least two occasions, he was allowed to sign the card and never asked for ID. He thought it was stupid as well. Just wondered what you'd do, since you're on the "front lines" (at least sometimes).

17. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I have had people hand me their ID with the card and it does NOT even say SEE ID or CID or SEE LICENSE...

I look at the ID anyway...

They MUST shop at places that ask for it all the time EVEN FOR SIGNED CARDS...EVEN IF IT IS A VIOLATION TO DO SO

18. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

GEORGE,

Just out of curiosity, what is Wal*Mart's policy on asking for ID? This hasn't happened for a while, but last year several times I shopped and used my Wal*Mart card and was asked for ID. The card was signed, came up approved with no problem, but the clerk still asked for my ID. I gave it to them, but just wondered.

In case it makes a difference, it was late night/early morning (my favorite time to shop except when they block all the aisles while stocking shelves!)

19. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

SIGNED...NO ID REQUIRED...UNLESS THEY HAVE TO TYPE IT IN MANUALLY---ID is NOT required for VISA/MC/AMEX/DISCOVERCARD typed in manually...

YMMV

Very late at night...I BET IT WAS A "FLOOR" PERSON THAT WAS CHECKING...maybe 100 total hours of checking under his/her belt...

When I had very young kids...I went grocery shopping after 11pm I HAD TO TRAIN A FEW CASHIERS...AND THAT WAS AT SAFEWAY!!!

TRAINING how to ring stuff up and codes and the credit card program...etc...
    We have the EXACT same registers and printers...except they have a few keys we don't have...

20. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

That's probably what happened--someone didn't know. It didn't have to be typed in manually. I swiped it and it came up approved.

I didn't complain, but maybe others did, so now they've been trained better. Hasn't happened in about a year.