Asked for ID for $2 CC purchase!!!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by DHK, Aug 10, 2003.

1. enigma

enigma Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Asked for ID for $2 CC purchase!!!

See my post on Visa and ID checks @

http://consumers.creditnet.com/straighttalk/board/showthread.php?s=&postid=364290#post364290

Or go to Visa's site @

http://usa.visa.com/business/mercha...ndex.html#link3

http://usa.visa.com/media/business/are_you_playing.pdf

Ask for ID ONLY IF the card does not swipe!!!!!

http://usa.visa.com/media/business/5steps.pdf

http://usa.visa.com/business/mercha...ardpresent.html

2. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Good links, but in my case, it wasn't a Visa or MC, it was a Wal*Mart card.

This is certainly a good reference for what happened to David, however!

3. venomized

venomized Well-Known Member

Im sorry, but i work at a bank and i get really upset when people get upset when i ask for 2 indentifications. I worked at Wells Fargo and Citibank, and let me tell you, i run into fraud all the time. I mean, how hard is it to pull your id with a second form of id. Fake ID cards are so easy to get in California, i mean i had one myself about 3 years ago, when i turned 18. And it was damn good.

As for the Walmart Clerk, i would have done the same thing also. Scammers do little things like that. Then come back about 1/2 hour later to the same clerk and buy more expensive products. Alot of people dont sign thier cards. Its protection for the store, and more importantly the consumer.

Im sorry, but for the people that hate to show their ID's or when asked for 2 ID's. GET USED TO IT, all banks and business are applying these policies little by little. And its not changing anytime soon. With all the losses that banks and retail stores get. There applying more stricter policies. Espcially banks

At citibank, we have finger printing devices that are hooked up and ready to be used for logging in our computers. Shortly after its supposed to be for the customers to identify for the account (so they say). But i know for sure we are going to use it for the employees.

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Asked for ID for $2 CC purchase!!!

YOUR TALKIN' APPLES AND ORANGES...

Cashing a NEGOTIABLE ORDER OF WITHDRAWAL is different than using a CREDIT CARD to purchase MERCHANDISE AT A STORE...

...and we were talkin' a SIGNED CARD!!!

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I HAVE NO SECOND ID...

...AND THE FIRST ID IS IN MY WALLET IN MY PANTS POCKET WERE IT STAYS TILL I CHANGE PANTS...THEN IT GOES TO THE NEW PAIR OF PANTS WERE IT STAYS TILL I CHANGE PANTS AGAIN!!!

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Im sorry, but for the people that hate to show their ID's or when asked for 2 ID's. GET USED TO IT,

But I can also PULL my business...

$100,000-$200,000/year

7. venomized

Re: Re: Re: Re: Asked for ID for $2 CC purchase!!!

I know what your saying, but i figured it was in the same topic, when asked for identification. If i were the clerk at Walmart, i would do the same. But thats just me. To be honest with you i would do it for the customers protection, because i would hope they did it for me.

8. DHK

DHK Well-Known Member

Don't forget - I ALSO WORK AT A BANK! Let's debate bank policies - shall we?

Know your customer - is a BANK policy that is HEAVILY REGULATED! Where is the regulation that asks convenience stores to know their customer's to be asking for ID for purchases? (Note: I was not buying alchoholic beverages).

The regulations they need to follow come from the MERCHANT CARD AGREEMENT they signed with VISA/MC (Amex and discover where applicable). Note the above links! They mention NOTHING about asking ID for a perfectly swipeable and signed credit card.

Let's also talk about balancing risk and good business decisions with customer service. Another hot topic of many a bank manager meeting. Was the $2 risk really worth the LACK OF SERVICE? Does your bank really decline EVERY TRANSACTION WITHOUT ID? Up to $100, I verify account information if they really don't have ID. You have to be able and willing to make sound "exceptions" to policy in an effort to service the customer. I WAS BUYING $2 WORTH OF WATER!!!! If I was really commiting fraud, wouldn't I buy a whole lot more than $2? I'd be buying more like $200. That would look a whole lot more suspicious.

So, who has the RIGHT to ask for my ID? Law enforcement, government agencies, my local bank - any others? Does the clerk at Circle K qualify? Not according to Visa/MC! So they DON'T GET TO SEE IT! I consider it an invasion of privacy to show my ID for a purchase on my cards.

9. venomized

I see what your saying. And your probably right. But for me personally i have no problem showing them id. I guess since i like the protection, i tend to do it to others.

About the second id at a bank. We do verify account information on exception basis. We try not to make it a regular thing.

10. DHK

DHK Well-Known Member

Strangely enough, this is also why I've switched banks to BofA for my personal accounts. BofA will put my photo and signature on the card. Whenever I've presented my BofA Platinum card - I GET NO HASSLES FOR ID WHATSOEVER.

Sure, I've got my account at Wells Fargo, but they don't put pictures on their cards.

I can't beat em, but with photo's on my cards, I can sure get em to SHUT UP and use common sense that the picture on the card - and the person using it - are the one and the same.

11. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Didn't we just hash this over on another thread a while back?

12. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Asked for ID for $2 CC purchase!!!

HASHED AND RE-HASHED

I won't show ID~~MY CARD IS SIGNED!!!

They love to show ID...GO AHEAD AND SHOW IT!!!

13. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Originally posted by lbrown59
    Didn't we just hash this over on another thread a while back?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HASHED AND RE-HASHED

LOL

14. kozman

kozman Well-Known Member

Not this again!!! Send a letter to the Circle K management stating that you appreciate the clerk and her looking out to prevent any type of fraud, even if it's only two dollars. Maybe if we had people like her working for the feds, some planes may have not flown into some buildings. Some of you people rant about some really non-issues. OK, OK, it's not Visa's or a someone elses policy to show ID, but if I was a store owner and you didn't like me checking your ID, get out of my store and shop somewhere else. I get this same crap when we stop people during a DUI checkpoint. "You shouldn't do this, you shouldn't do that" Never mind the drunk that was taken off the street and didn't get the chance to run over your little kid. Crime is crime, DUI or credit card fraud. Get over it people, it's different world that we live in and it isn't 1950 anymore. There is alot of bad, twisted things that go on everyday that Mr. and Mrs. taking little Johnny to soccer camp choses to ignore and look the other way. I don't think the issue is someone asking to see your id to buy a 2 dollar bottle of water. The issue is that some people pay 2 dollars for something that is free. Get over it and get on with your lives.

15. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I would have 'thanked' her.

You could have easily dropped your minicard in the parking lot and someone could have picked it up and used it. If they made a charge, I think you would have been 'livid' the cashier didn't check their id.

Security is an inconvienece, yes, but nayone who has been the victim of id fraud or had a cc stolen will tell you that security is still a must.

I would have thanked her, smiled, and showed her my id.

But that's just me....we all have a right to our opinions...

Shawn

16. sam

sam Well-Known Member

probably either the clerk was:
    1. a noobie following the book
    2. burnt by CC fraud and taken out on him by boss.

The trust model is funny, women to women can get away with alot more, than women to men.

men are criminals, in the case of women. Women trust women more.

Never does my fiance get carded while shopping my credit cards, but sure enough I get carded when i shop with my credit cards.

In all cases at the mall, the ladies were operating the register and the amounts varied up to $600 in transactions on both parties.

The bottom line is, that women would make better criminals because there is some level of trust that is greater than with men.

There will always be exceptions to this policy, but if you watch carefully, its definitely the ole wives club working here..

17. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

YOU LIKE SHOWING YOUR ID...SHOW IT!!!! BUT DON'T MAKE ME SHOW IT ON MY SIGNED CARD!!!!

18. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

This is George's hot button.

Of course, he's wrong -- even though he's usually right.

It's perfectly ok for merchants to ask for an ID.

They are doing consumers a favor.

Doc

19. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Well stated.

20. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

SIGN AND GO
    NOT SIGN, ASK FOR ID AND GO