Asked for ID for $2 CC purchase!!!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by DHK, Aug 10, 2003.

1. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Asked for ID for $2 CC purchase!!!

YOU LIKE SHOWING YOUR ID...SHOW IT!!!!

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

The signature on the signature stripe and the signature on the receipt ARE THE ID...JUST AS A PIN# IS THE ID ON A DEBIT TYPE CARD!!!

3. DHK

DHK Well-Known Member

Here's where I back GEORGE up -

If I'm a merchant, and I DON'T ask for an ID for a Credit card - AND IT IS FRAUD - I, THE MERCHANT, STILL GET PAID!!! I still get my funds for the merchandise/service I provided. Therefore, there is NO LOGICAL BUSINESS REASON to ask for an ID for a credit card transaction (especially under $100).

Banks TAKE THE LOSS! So, if you come into a bank and withdraw $100 - and it isn't you, but an impersonator - the BANK pays that loss. This is why we want to know who is here making a withdrawal and having a positive identification. So, BANKS need to make sound business decisions and so we ASK FOR ID for almost every withdrawal.

Credit card companies have FRAUD divisions and investigative departments. It is THEIR job to help track down where fraud happens and who is doing it.

Now, I'm still MODERATE on this issue. I'll show an ID IF the total purchase price is over $100. Then I feel that they are "trying to protect me" and I feel justified in showing an ID. I just couldn't STAND IT for a lousy $2! For $2, I DON'T CARE (as a merchant) who is in front of me. Hell, even the Boston Market down the road doesn't even ask for a SIGNATURE for under $20! Why all the fuss over a $2 purchase? Where is the customer service?

4. arobinson

arobinson Well-Known Member

I have actually sued Wal*Mart in Frederick MD over this. At Xmas time last year they had a sign up over each register...ID REQUIRED FOR EACH AND EVERY CC and CHECK PURCHASE. I refused and they refused to sell to me. I sued for injunctive relief over the removal of the sign and $5000 in punitive damages due to my daughter not getting what she wanted for Xmas...guess who won...let me give you a hint...with the letter I had from Visa and MC international showing that was a clear violation..my daughter ended up getting everything and more..and my wife got a new diamond ring for Xmas..courtesy of Wal*Mart...turns out this was some pea brained managers idea...he was severly reprimanded!

5. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

Arobinson, would you be willing to black out identifying information and post those letters from VISA and MasterCard on the net? I had earlier telephoned all three -- VISA, MC, and AmEx -- and was told that asking for ID specifically does not violate their terms.

A couple of excerpts from an earlier Creditnet thread:

The letters you have would certainly come in handy here, if indeed this is actionable activity irrespective of what VISA International, MasterCard, and AmEx might be telling people.

Doc

6. kozman

kozman Well-Known Member

Great lesson to teach your kid. See those people, they are trying to do us a service by not taking cards from people that shouldn't have them. Well, I don't like that so I'm going to add another stupid law suit to our legal system and get you and your mommy stuff for free because something someone did made me angry. You whinny people. The banks may be a large part of the problems that we discuss on this board, but the other problems stem from people who act like the previous poster. Did Walmart truly "injure" you by wanting to protect EVERYONES" interest. Oh, I see, an evil plot by Walmart not to accept payment, especially during the holiday season. What the hell is wrong with some of you people. Get over it and go to another store. Oh, my daughter won't get her toy that she wants.......So I'm going to sue. Great lesson pal.

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Asked for ID for $2 CC purchase!!!

WHAT ARE TALKIN' ABOUT???

kozman--If you like showing ID BY ALL MEANS SHOW IT!!!!!!!!!!

BUT DON'T MAKE ME SHOW IT!!! I HAVE A SIGNED CARD!!!
    SIGN AND GO NOT SIGN ASK FOR ID AND GO

CASHING A CHECK IT TOTALLY DIFFERENT...I WOULD ASK FOR AN ID FOR A $2.00 CHECK IF I HAD TO...

8. kozman

kozman Well-Known Member

Please refer to arobinson's previous post about sticking it to Wal-Mart and getting his gift's for free due to the lawsuit he filed and getting the manager reprimanded. I was just noting the great lesson that his kid is learning. I wish people would quit with perpetuating the "I'm a victim" routine.

9. reddevil

reddevil Well-Known Member

Here are some quotes from a few sites I found, emphasis mine:

http://hostingct.com/merchant/faq.shtml

What is a Chargeback?

A. A chargeback is when a customer disputes a charge on their statement by contacting the credit card company instead of contacting you. If a customer does not recognize the charge on their statement, or if they believe the amount was wrong, they may call their credit card company and ask them to investigate. Thus begins the chargeback. TO BE QUITE FRANK, CHARGEBACKS SUCK. THE MERCHANT BANK WILL CHARGE YOU A FEE FOR THE RETRIEVAL OF INFORMATION, AND IF IT IS DETERMINED THAT THE CUSTOMER IS RIGHT, THERE WILL BE ANOTHER FEE FOR THE CHARGEBACK ITSELF. The customer will be refunded their money directly through the credit card company instead of through you. THE MERCHANT BANK WILL KEEP TRACK OF THE AMOUNT OF CHARGEBACKS ON YOUR ACCOUNT, AND IF THERE ARE TOO MANY, YOU WILL BE IN JEOPARDY OF LOSING YOUR ACCOUNT. When dealing with internet transactions, unfortunately the card companies will usually charge back first and ask questions later. The more you do to protect yourself against chargebacks, the better off you'll be. There is a great forum for merchants to join at merchant911.org. It's absolutely free and they will provide you with tools and information to help you cut down on the amount of chargebacks and fraudulent orders you will receive. We are a member and you can tell them we sent you.

http://www.workz.com/cgi-bin/gt/tpl_page.html,template=1&content=1337&nav1=1&user=ffffffffffff

There is more to a chargeback than meets the eye. NOT ONLY DOES THE MERCHANT LOSE THE ACTUAL INVENTORY AND THE PURCHASE PRICE; THERE ARE ALSO FEES CHARGED FOR EACH AND EVERY CHARGEBACK. These fees add up, with each one ranging from $15 to $50 (U.S.) a pop. Consult your MAP if you do not know what fees you can be hit with.

That is not all. MERCHANTS WHO RECEIVE AN EXCESSIVE NUMBER OF CHARGEBACKS CAN LOSE THEIR MERCHANT ACCOUNT. TERMINATION CAN OCCUR WITHOUT WARNING, and the merchant could end up on the MasterCard match file, aka the terminated merchant file, which is monitored by other MAPs. If your name is on this list, it means you will not be able to get another merchant account. Once listed, merchants stay on this list for five years.

The credit card associations have adopted new rules and regulations. Visa charges a fine for excessive international chargebacks, and MasterCard fines merchants with high-volume sales for excessive chargebacks. THESE FINES CAN COST SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARS.

I am quite certain that Walmart runs no risk of losing its right to use VISA or MC. But a franchised Circle K certainly does.

They are protecting their business. Is it better to tick off some customer who carries a credit card but no ID into your store to buy a $2 bottle of water, or to run the risk of losing your right to have people charge stuff with VISA altogether? You don't think it's just slightly suspicious to have a CC and no picture ID?

There is nothing that I can find that precludes merchants from asking for ID. I'd love to see it if someone can provide it, but just saying that it's so or that it should be so isn't enough.

In addition, I worked in a store similar to a Circle K. My first store, on the edge of a tony city edge neighborhood didn't have much trouble with this. My second store, on the first floor of a seven story college dorm, certainly did.

I was evaluated for: how many times my drawer was cash short (even though they took out the shortage from my paycheck), how much inventory was lost to shoplifting, how many fraudulent transactions went through the register, how many times I was robbed (four, two at weapon point). Part of the concept is that if an employee has a lot of fraud or shortage occur on their shift, it might be the employee who's doing the fraud. And the employees are pretty easily replaced, so these companies have hair trigger security departments, and will fire people at the drop of a pin.

Fraud impacts both the store and the employee. It is NOT true that the CC company bears the burden above $50. They shove that cost back down onto the Merchant. That's just a bonus gift that the Merchant lives with for the privilege of letting people use credit cards in his store.

And then they get pissed at him for having the nerve to protect himself.

In addition, I've had quite a few co-workers have purses and wallets stolen from this place of work. The first place the crooks go is the supermarket to charge steak; the second is the 7-11 to charge beer. These convenience stores get hit a lot.

People should think a little bit about how their decisions impact the lives of others before whining about having to pull an extra piece of plastic out of their pocket. How hard can that be?

10. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

arobinson--was it the "old" Wal*Mart on Guilford Dr? That's where I was asked for ID on a Wal*Mart card on at least two occasions. I think that was before they put the signs up.

I usually shop at the new one now.

11. c_indalite

c_indalite Well-Known Member

I worked at Best Buy for two years as a cashier, and in customer service. We received numerous memos, especially around Christmas time that all credit cards were to be verified also by id's unless they were photo cards. Yes a few people balked, but most of them, when asked why we did it and we explained, thanked us.

I'd rather show my id than get hit with even a $2.00 charge that I did not make. Let's say someone had stolen your card, and made that $2.00 charge...then awhile later made another small purchase, and over the course of time made many small purchases that added up to an extensive amount of money...over time. The crook would have gotten away with their small purchases because how many of us would overlook those purchases on our bill. Yes I know I'm rambling, but seriously, you can get upset at the clerk (who is doing what she was told by her store) or at the store (who is trying to protect themselves from fraudulent charges and chargebacks and at the same time protecting you from possible fraud).

Another example...most major stores will not accept a card from a child of, or the spouse of the card owner...the actual person has to be there...well I'm the daughter of Mary...the card is already signed, I hand it over, the clerk sees the signature but doesn't check the photo (if that is their policy), Mary, the mother comes back up in arms that her daughter was able to charge something on her card...guess who's going to get in trouble...the clerk who didn't do their job.

12. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

THE CARD SAYS "VOID IF NOT SIGNED"
    SO SIGN IT OR SHOW ID...

FOR ALL OF YOU THAT LOVE TO SHOW ID...BY ALL MEANS SHOW IT!!! BUT ON THE OTHER-HAND DON'T HARASS US BECAUSE WE REFUSE TO SHOW OUR ID FOR OUR SIGNED CARDS!!! AND MERCHANTS DON'T EXPECT US TO ALWAYS COMPLY WITH SHOWING ID...YOU MAY LOSE THE PURCHASE

ALIENATING A CUSTOMER BECAUSE A STORE ASKS FOR ID ON A SIGNED CARD DOES NOT INCREASE RETURN BUSINESS...YOU WON THAT SALE...BUT WHO KNOWS IF THEY WILL EVER BE BACK OR IF THEY TOOK THEIR BUSINESS TO ANOTHER STORE THAT DOES NOT ASK FOR ID ON THEIR SIGNED CARD...

13. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Using somebody elses card is different all together...

**MARY SMITH with a card that has JOHN SMITH on the card...IT SHOULD BE DENIED!!! Pay a different way OR VOID THE SALE AND SEND THE CUSTOMER ON THEIR WAY!!!

You don't even have to ask for ID...

**I DID LET IT SLIDE WITH LAST NAME MATCH (ID)...BUT WE CAN'T ANYMORE...

We have no idea if HE gave it to HER with permission...or she just took it...
    They may be having problems...SO IT GETS CHARGED BACK

14. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

You're right, GEORGE. The signature on the card and the slip wouldn't match, without even looking at the name.

In the "old days," the same name would be on both cards and the spouse would just sign. I had one like that. It had my (then) husband's name on the front of the card, but my signature. I had a store that refused to honor it. I even called and let them talk to the card company, who said that I was an authorized user but all cards on the account had the same name. Even though the signatures matched they wouldn't take the card. So I went somewhere else.

A few of my gas and store cards are still that way, but most of the Visa and MasterCards now have the authorized user's name, so the name and signature match.

15. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I just had that happen two months ago with a "JOINT" card account...she said her card is on the way...she said call the bank (THAT IS WHAT THEY TOLD HER TO DO)...so I made an exception and called the bank...THEY SAID SHE IS ON THE ACCOUNT BUT HER CARD IS DELAYED!!! I OVER-RODE IT!!!

16. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

At least someone has some common sense!!

17. luxury4me

luxury4me Well-Known Member

I personally would have thrown the water at something in the store so that it would break and the cashier would have to clean it up.

18. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Take the lid off...OOPS THE CONTENTS DIDN'T STAY INSIDE THE BOTTLE WHEN UPSIDE DOWN...