Aspire interest rate goes up!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dave, Oct 30, 2000.

1. dave

dave Well-Known Member

I just received a "pre-qualified" offer for an Aspire visa card. Although this card comes with no annual fee and has a grace period, the interest rate is 35.5 and the default rate is 41.5! This is higher than the rate Aspire was quoted as having on posts to this board a few weeks ago. The small print says that I was prescreened for this offer but if my circumstances have changed since my credit was checked, I might get the Diamond card at even a higher rate and lower credit line! I have no idea why they would think anyone would want this card even with bad credit and I don't have bad credit.

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

RE: Aspire interest rate goes

I got that same dumb offer for a gold card after they denied me a reg. card 2 months ago. Who are they kidding. The rates are off the charts. That co is CRAZy! That have rates like that and declining people. Get real why dont they.

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

35.50% AND 41.50%???
    DO YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD LOAN SHARKS CHARGE RATES THIS HIGH??? I WOULD CHECK WITH THEM...YOU MIGHT GET A BETTER DEAL!!!

4. dave

dave Well-Known Member

You're right George. my neighborhood loan sharks would think it was immoral to charge these APRs. They have ethics, you know.

5. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

Those terms would make the meanest sonofabitch in all the mafia cringe! Not only that, just keep in mind that Aspire does NOT report positive credit history to any of the CRAs. I'm not sure about negatives.

If you know for sure you'd be able to pay off your entire balance every month, Aspire might not be such a bad idea. They don't charge an annual fee, and there is a grace period. It's only good if you want the security of having the card in case of an emergency. The initial credit limit is usually $1750. They have good customer service, and they do post payments promptly.

Those rates, however, are down-right usuary and highway robbery. You could get a better deal borrowing cash at one of those E-Z loan joints in the deepest part of the ghetto, near all the pawn shops, liquor stores, and bail bonds agencies with the barred windows and the grafitti-tagged walls.

6. Eboni

Eboni Guest

And Aspire won't even give me

They really have a lot of nerve. You would think they would hand those things out like candy. I think they may have turned me down because I don't carry balances.

7. Cindy

Cindy Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad, Eboni...

...they turned me down, as well. I _do_ carry balances (albeit very small ones), and have been cleaning up my credit for 2 years (NO late payments).

I was also unable to get ANY sort of card from Nextcard. I didn't even get an offer for their secured card. I believe it's time to stop applying, before I get too bummed out, continue putting $$ into my secured Optima, and see what Junum can do.

Cheers and Prosperity,
    Cindy